Repeat IPL procedure?

Had 1st face IPL about a month ago. I'm Asian & have sunspots around lower eyes and upper cheeks. I have 4 areas of concern: 1 area showed improvement. Sunspots in other 3 areas barely changed in color (just as dark as pre-IPL). I understand several treatments may be required, but if 3 areas on my face showed little improvement after my 1st procedure, should I still do another one? Or was my post-treatment care to blame for the lack of improvement? (applied ointment to “coffee ground” areas).

IPL

Thanks for the great question. IPL works great, but it often times takes 3-5 treatments for spots to completely disappear. With you having darker skin, I'm guessing that the person treating you used more conservative settings to see how your skin would respond. Often times practitioners want to test ares to make sure you're not going to develop areas of hyperpigmentation from the treatment. Although some people will see a benefit from a single treatment, I tell my patients that they will likely need at least 3 treatments to get them to where they are happy with the results. Best of luck!

~Dr. Sieber

Bay Area General Surgeon

IPL Patience--takes a series of treatments, add microneedling/prp

It can take a series of treatments to get improvement with IPL. I usually recommend a combination of treatments with IPL for best results. I suggest adding microneedling/prp and skin care to improve skin quality and tone. I recommend a formal evaluation with a cosmetic dermatologist. Best, Dr. Emer