Repeat IPL procedure?

Had 1st face IPL about a month ago. I'm Asian & have sunspots around lower eyes and upper cheeks. I have 4 areas of concern: 1 area showed improvement. Sunspots in other 3 areas barely changed in color (just as dark as pre-IPL). I understand several treatments may be required, but if 3 areas on my face showed little improvement after my 1st procedure, should I still do another one? Or was my post-treatment care to blame for the lack of improvement? (applied ointment to “coffee ground” areas).

IPL results

Thank you for your question bokshil. I understand your concern. IPL is a great treatment for facial rejuvenation. It is difficult to make an assessment without a formal exam. However, depending on the depth of the pigment in the skin some areas respond more quickly than other areas. Additionally more conservative settings are used for those with darker skin types and a series of treatments is required. For my patients I start with a series of 6 monthly treatments followed by one maintenance treatment every 3 months thereafter. Combining this with high quality skin care products will result in further improvement. Results are seen slowly over time. Patience is important. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

IPL results

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

IPL

Thanks for the great question. IPL works great, but it often times takes 3-5 treatments for spots to completely disappear. With you having darker skin, I'm guessing that the person treating you used more conservative settings to see how your skin would respond. Often times practitioners want to test ares to make sure you're not going to develop areas of hyperpigmentation from the treatment. Although some people will see a benefit from a single treatment, I tell my patients that they will likely need at least 3 treatments to get them to where they are happy with the results. Best of luck!

~Dr. Sieber

IPL

~Dr. Sieber

IPL Patience--takes a series of treatments, add microneedling/prp

It can take a series of treatments to get improvement with IPL. I usually recommend a combination of treatments with IPL for best results. I suggest adding microneedling/prp and skin care to improve skin quality and tone. I recommend a formal evaluation with a cosmetic dermatologist. Best, Dr. Emer