What procedures would you suggest for a bulbous Asian nose tip? (photos)

I am an asian. I am satisfied with the side view of my nose, since the projection is high enough. But my nose tip looks a little big from the front, especially when I am smiling. To preserve natural asian features, I do not want the tip to be taller or pointier. I just want to make my nose tip appear a little smaller from the front to achieve a more feminine look. I am in my 20s and I wish to have a natural-looking nose that lasts for a lifetime. Please give me some advice. Thank you so much.

Asian Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. I suggest that you consult with a single or double board certified facial plastic surgeon regarding Rhinoplasty options. Keep in mind that many plastic surgery offices - like ours - offer imaging techniques so that the patient and surgeon can learn how different procedures will affect the patient's look and desired outcome.Best wishes,

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tip refinement

Minimal changes and preservation of tissues will be necessary. Sutures to narrow the tip cartilages with subdomal (under the tip) cartilage graft from the septum should give you what you are trying to achieve.  This will give the tip slightly more projection but that will enhance, not detract from your profile I believe

Asian rhinoplsty for bulbous Asian nose

There is an important relationship between the profile and the frontal view of your nose. A flat nose, even when small, will appear very wide when viewed from the front. By making the nose slightly taller from the profile, it can also be made to look thinner and more narrow from the front.

Alar base modification (nostril reduction) can be performed to reduce both the flare and the width of your nostrils.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Improving Bulbous Asian Nasal Tip

Although it does not sound logical we actually add cartilage to support weak tip cartilages so better definition can be achieved. This combined with removal of underlying fatty tissue and changing the contour of the existing cartilages will narrow your tip and feminize your nose.

Asian rhinoplasty

Hi there.

To address the bulbous shape, Asian rhinoplasty usually adds cartilage to strengthen the natural cartilage structure while forcing the thicker overlying soft tissue to have a more defined shape. This is commonly done with placement of what is called a shield-shaped tip graft made from septal or ear cartilage. In addition, alar rim grafts are frequently placed to make the tip appear even more naturally defined. By building on top of the already present native cartilage structure, the tip can be projected out nicely to provide added refinement and definition.

Asian rhinoplasty is a highly specialized form of cosmetic rhinoplasty that requires advanced training and considerable experience in rhinoplasty. It also demands careful preoperative evaluation of the nose and meticulous surgical planning to ensure the final result is one that appears natural and ethnically consistent. Please see a board certified cosmetic surgeon to help you come to a decision on whether you are a good candidate for such a procedure.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian nasal tips and techniques to make it appear smaller

The Asian nose is challenging for many reasons. The tip in particular is composed of very thick skin and a pad of fat on top of small and weak cartilage. 

Frequently, a request to make the tip less bulbous or smaller requires putting cartilage grafts in the tip to stretch the thick skin for a more defined tip.

Simply reducing the cartilage in the tip of an Asian patient will create a ball of skin that will remain bulbous. Even worse, scar formation can retract the tip up, producing an unpleasant result.  Injectable fillers create more bulk and no structure, for a bigger rounder tip. 

I encourage you to seek out a full consultation with a rhinoplasty surgeon who specializes in Asian/Ethnic rhinoplasty. They can fully evaluate your nose and explain the differences between your nose and other noses. You can ask questions. And the surgeon can determine a safe treatment plan for you. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon