Physical activity after labiaplasty procedure. How long should I wait?

It has been a little bit over a month since my labiaplasty procedure, most of the swelling is gone. Stitches lines are smoothing and reducing over time. I am a runner so I am wondering when can I resume my jogging/running activities?

Labiaplasty recovery

I usually recommend 4-6 wks after surgery. Check with your surgeon first, but some patients experience more swelling and tenderness down below than others. I would agree you can try a run, and see how you feel. I would also recommend wearing looser fitting shorts for comfort in the beginning especially if it is still tender down below. Best wishes.

Labiaplasty Recovery

Every woman is different-as is every surgery and recovery.  Generally
speaking, I like my patients to really “take it easy” for the first
couple of days after surgery-rest, eat healthy, drink plenty of water
and give their bodies a chance to heal naturally.  You can plan on
getting back to work in 2-3 day.   Ice packs for the first 24 hours (and
I know it’s not terribly comfortable) can help tremendously with
swelling and pain.

My first follow-up exam is at 2 weeks and I ask my patients to refrain from any vigorous exercise until this exam.  Once I check a patient’s recovery personally, I usually release them to low-impact exercises that are “comfortable”, such as walking or the elliptical.   Nothing hi-impact, getting on a saddle, jarring,  hyper extending or sex at this point and generally not for at least 4-6 weeks.  You really want give yourself time to heal properly and my best advise it to to listen to your body. 

I always get questions regarding “getting in water.”  I allow my patients to shower immediately after surgery with a hypoallergenic soap.  And even suggest my patients take sitz baths a few days after surgery.  Water is not only very soothing, but is cleansing and healing.  I prefer to see a patient in-person again before swimming.

Typically, it’s business as usual in 6 weeks, but again, it’s a very individual process.  Always consult with your surgeon if you have any questions. 

Dr Lori Warren

Lori Warren, MD
Louisville Urogynecologist

Labiaplasty: physical activity

Generally, patients are able to walk comfortably within a few days and can return to work within a week. Swelling can persist for several weeks.
Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the area, such as certain exercise equipment and sexual activity. It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks.
Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery. The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks. Swelling can persist for two or three months. Ice can help reduce swelling.

Labiaplasty Recovery

Provided that you are healing well, I typically tell my patients that they may resume running and other cardiovascular exercises 3 weeks post-op and weight training and yoga at 6 weeks.  Good luck!

How long after #labiaplasty can I resume high impact sports?

Thank you for sharing your question as to when to resume high impact activity after your labiaplasty procedure.  This is a great question to ask your operative surgeon directly. For our labiaplasty patients we oftene recommend waiting four to six weeks after the procedure before resuming high impact exercise, however every surgeon is different and this will also depend on your individual results. I hope this is helpful and wish you the best.
Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to returning to specific activities. He/she will know exactly what was done, how you are progressing, and exactly what type of activities you are returning to. Generally speaking, it will be important for you to return to activities in a very gradual/cautious fashion. "Listen to your body" as you do so. Assuming you are complication free, you will likely be able to resume running and other activities at the one month mark.
 Again, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to relevant advice.
Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

When can I run after a labiaplasty?

You should ask your surgeon what they recommend as they know the particulars of your case as well as they have examined you post operatively.  I usually recommend the exercise is ok at 4-6 wks after surgery.  Best wishes.

How long after Labiaplasty can I work out?

Dear EllnePF,

First thing I would recommend is asking your surgeon what his/her preference is for their patients.

In general, I recommend for my patients 4-6 weeks to resume exercise and start slow--10 to 15minutes and see how your body feels. Then increase your workout over time back to your usual routine.  Everyone heals differently.  Some have residual tenderness and some can be easily irritated when they first start.  Listen to your body.  If you start working out and you are uncomfortable, wait a few days and try again.  The labia continue to heal under the skin for up to six months so there will still be some slight changes over time.

I hope this information is helpful.

Dr. Troy Hailparn

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

If you feel good do it.

All the doctors answers are generally good and about the same. My suggestion is to go for a run...see how you feel.  If you swell, or you get sore, then maybe you ran too soon or too far. You should then wait a few days before you exert the same energy again.  The same goes with sex and all other activity.
Enjoy your new you!

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

In the absence of any problems,

resuming such activities a month after labiaplasty should be easily tolerated and with minimal risk, assuming your athletic wear isn't constantly rubbing on that area and creating tension on your healing wounds.  But as mentioned by others, you should check with your surgeon on this as your surgeon is the best person to get your advice from.

Curtis Wong, MD