Will being overweight affect my chances of passing blood work tests and a medical clearance for rhinoplasty? (photo)

I would really like to receive Rhinoplasty, but I am scared about passing the clearance. I had blood work done November 2014 - January 2015 and it was fine. I turned 32 in March and live a healthy lifestyle.

Medical Clearance for Surgery

Instead of being concerned about "passing the clearance", I would suggest having the tests done and deal with the results. If you are significantly overweight, you could be at risk for developing diabetes. It would be better to know that and take appropriate steps to take care of it. Many of the issues you see in overweight patients resolve with weight loss.

Most likely your lab results will be normal.

Overweight for rhinoplasty anesthesia?

You don't state your height and weight so no one can give you a definitive answer online.  At 32 years of age, if your overall health is good then there is a good chance you're a good candidate, but if you have a substantial overweight problem we would all agree that safety becomes an issue and you should be closer to a healthy and maintainable weight to reduce the risks of anesthesia complications.
Maybe the motivation to prepare for your rhinoplasty presents a good opportunity to improve your diet and exercise regimen, stop any smoking and move toward improving your overall health profile.  Lot's of luck and success.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV
Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Medical clearance, blood work, and overweight.

Medical clearance should be called "Anesthesia Clearance." The preoperative tests evaluate the patient's ability to tolerate general anesthesia. 

Overweight patients are at higher risk for problems with general anesthesia. IV lines may be harder to place. Airway tubes may also be challenging. The dosage of medications may need to be adjusted. 

For elective cases, it's best to to make the situation as safe as possible. Some medical conditions require a change in the anethesia plan. Others medical conditions may be cause to cancel the surgery if it is too dangerous to put the patient to sleep.

Your primary care physician will coordinate the initial tests and the anesthesiologist will do a risk assessment. This may be before your surgery day. Safety comes first!

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate

Medical clearance is usually performed by primary care physician when there are specific medical issues that need to be addressed prior to elective cosmetic surgery, such as a rhinoplasty.  It so is best when the patient's are at their ideal body weight before electing to undergo cosmetic surgery. In our practice,  patients must have a BMI of less than 34 to undergo general anesthesia.