Would like opinions on whether lower facelift would be my best best for jowls and neck? (photo)

Had thought about threads for jowls, but have heard mixed reviews. I don't have a lot of downtime.

Lower Facelift Ideal for Minor Neck Sagging and Small Jowls

If you are only showing the early signs of aging, such as slight jowling and neck sagging, then a lower face lift, or “mini lift” would be ideal for you. During the procedure, we will remove excess loose skin, tightening up the jawline and blunting the neckline.

Lower face lift for jowls and neck?

Thank you for asking about your face lift.
  • You are right to avoid thread lifts - they are a waste ot your time and money.
  • By far your best surgery is a lower face (SMAS flap) and neck lift (with platysma flap).
  • You will be able to start working from home after about 4 days -
  • With really good make-up, you can go back to the office in 7 days -
  • Most people go back in 10 - 14 days.
  • But truly don't waste money on anything else.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Lower face lift versus face and neck lift

I recommend doing a facelift combined with a neck lift for the best result.  I routinely quote the procedure together, because the best possible result can be achieved combining the two.  Be well.

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jowls neck

The Lower Face Lift will give you the best result but you need to sure that the doctor that performs the surgery will treat the muscular support ( Platysma muscle and SMAS ) the face contour and definition will be improved and give you the best and most durable results.

Lower face and neck lift

Hi there. From the photos, it looks as if a lower facelift will be the best options for you. Through this approach, the jowls can be lifted and the neck tightened to improve your jawline definition - the improved neck contour is often quite dramatic. You may also benefit from a small incision under the chin to remove excess fatty tissue and tighten the neck muscles in the front but that will best be determined after an in-person examination.

Would like opinions on whether lower facelift would be my best best for jowls and neck?

Yes, I believe your photos indicate that you would be an excellent candidate for a lower facelift to remove and tighten the excess skin on your neck and jowls. There are fine board certified plastic surgeons in the San Francisco area that will be able to give you a complete evaluation. Best of luck. 

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Best option for jowls and neck?

Hi Jac3034, thanks for sharing your photos.  You will need a face/neck lift to improve the contour of your jowls and neck line.  In general, thread lifts tend to relapse fairly quickly and the results are not sustained, compared to standard face/neck procedure.  You should expect needing about 2 weeks for recovery for a standard face/neck lift procedure.

Tom D. Wang, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Opinions on whether lower facelift would be my best best for jowls and neck?

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts. From the photos your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), jowls are present, there is excess skin in the neck and the chin is weak. These factors combine to create a rectangular shaped face.

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin. Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

"Jowls” are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift. The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last). The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure. When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face. If you are looking for complete removal of all the excess skin below the chin, this would requite a Full Neck Lift in addition to the lower facelift mentioned above. This combination is about 5 hours of surgery, requires a general anesthetic, pressure dressing and drains are used and the recovery is significantly longer (months). If you are interested in shaping the face, reducing the jowls and reducing the amount of loose skin below the neck, this can be done using the minimal incision facelift (without full neck lift) as described above.

Hope this helps.

Face and neck lift

You appear to have loose jowls as well as submental fat and loose muscle. You would
likely benefit from a facelift with attention to the fat and loose muscle in the neck.
See an experienced surgeon for the best results.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Skin and Platysmal Bands -- VASER Hi Def Liposuction/ThermiRF, Venus Legacy/Thermage/Ultherapy, Botox/Dysport

You are in need of a neck/face lift. There are alternatives like VASER/ Thermi or Thermage/Ultherapy. However, they will do very little. I suggest consulting with an expert. Best, Dr. Emer