Do i appear to be "normal" down there? (photo)

I've seen other girls posting the same types of questions, so I thought I'd give it a shot, too. I posted another photo and question because in the past two years, Ive felt like sex is kind of painful, as if there's something "in the way"..I notice something protruding out, and I can definitely feel it when I touch down there. Is this my hymen? Also, is my coloring normal? It looks white in my vaginal opening, I'm unsure why.

Doctor Answers 9

Proper Exam

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello California Girl,

You should be examined in the office by your gynecologist. This is probably a portion of your hymen but a picture will not do for the proper identification here.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Question of Being Normal...

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Women have a wide range of normal  color, texture, size and asymmetries of their genitalia. This is true of the Vulva and all of its parts, the same as other parts of the body. So, the question of being "normal" is completely up to you. But, then the question of being a candidate for surgery is up to you as well. Candidates for #labiaplasty and #vaginal surgery include women concerned about the appearance of their genitals, or those who experience discomfort, pain or difficulty with sexual relations.  Moisture can create problems such as yeast infections. If you are experiencing any of these, as you have already mentioning the onset of pain, then it may be a good idea to look into vaginal surgery.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

Do i appear to be "normal" down there?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for asking, however based on the one photo you submitted, it is really hard to give you a good answer.  If this bothers you enough that you are willing to have a procedure done to alter the appearance the you should be examined and evaluated by a qualified physician with experience in cosmetic gynecology.
Best of luck.

Do i appear to be "normal" down there?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The photos does not appear to be your hymen which is not located externally. It may be a "clitoral  over hang". There are always individual "color" variations. I would recommend you see your gynecologist and have an evaluation if the labia menora is a source of your pain then a labiaplasty may be a procedure to help you.

Fred Suess, MD (retired)
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon

Do I appear to be "normal" down there?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
From your one photo alone, it is difficult to say what is causing the pain that you have described.  I agree with my colleagues, you best course of action is to see your gynecologist first, and have them examine you.  If they feel the labia minora are contributing to the problem then a labiaplasty may be an option.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 63 reviews

Causes of sexual pain

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Sexual pain may be secondary to a host of different issues, and even if your photo were closer-up so I could see the opening clearly, I still could not give you an accurate diagnosis. My practice specializes in sexual issues including sexual pain and of course genital plastics. I'd advise making an appointment with a gynecologist who also is a sexual medicine practitioner and specializes in sexual issues. Ideally, this person should either be an AASECT-certified therapist/Gyn, or a "Fellow" if ISSWSH (the International Society for the Study of Women's Sexual Health). There are several such persons in the Bay Area and Northern CA. Seek one out and have an in-person evaluation if you wish an in-depth answer to your questions...

That said, what you see is most likely your hymenal ring; the sensitive tips of the hymen frequently present as a piinkish-white color. But... you'd really need a personal evaluation.

Best wishes,

Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Tissue protruding from the vagina is most likely a remnant of your hymen. This may be contributing to pain with intercourse. If you trust your local GYN that is a good start. You can also find a plastic surgeon who specializes in vulvovaginal surgery to help you. 
Different pigmentation is very common, with the tissues usually darkening over time. Nothing to be stressed about n

Painful sex is not assessed with a photo

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Call you gynecologist and get an exam. Painful sex can be due to many things, but only an exam can identify the source of the pain.

Looks Normal to me

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question and photo.  From the photo you provided, you appear to have normal anatomy.  I cannot see what you mean by, "something protruding out," but maybe it is just not showing up well in that photo.  If sex has become painful and you feel like there is something "in the way," then I would suggest you make an appointment with a gynecologist, because a physical examination is really the only way to know for sure if there is something wrong with your anatomy.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.