New fat cells after liposuction

I read that after liposuction the fat cells that were removed do not come back but if a person adds 10% or more of his initial weight then new fat cells will show up. When I had my liposuction I was weighting 170 pounds. I am at 146 pounds now, hopefully I won't lose more weight. What's the 10% I need to to stay away from? It's 14,6 pounds or 17 pounds? The 10% is from the weight I had when I had my liposuction or anytime that I add 10% of weight to my body I'll get new fat cells?

Getting larger after liposuction

There is no magic number or percentage.  Certain people will sometimes build up the size of their fat cells in other areas following liposuction irrespective of weight gain or loss.  It is unusual.  If you gain weight from here, some of your fat stores will grow of course.  Usually the fat will expand in areas other than the areas liposuctioned.

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Results -- Maintain Diet and Exercise

You are more likely to gain weight in areas untreated by liposuction if you do not diet and exercise. The best way to maintain optimal results is to maintain a diet and exercise program. Or get a hi definition sculpting procedure that treats all areas in a single treatment. Best, Dr. Emer

Fat cells and liposuction

Fat cells do not replace themselves and are not regenerated my weight gain except for under extreme circumstances. People or several hundred pounds overweight can potentially have fat cells multiply. When it happens it happens based on normal genetically predetermined fat distributions and this is not changed by liposuction. Liposuction will permanently change someone's fat distribution. The fat distribution will forever remain changed and does not convert back whether people gain weight or lose weight. I don't know where this 10% weight gain you're referring to comes from but I do not think it's based on any scientific evidence. The opposite is also true for fat transfer once cells become established and have proven to have survived(usually within 3 to 6 months from the procedure). Any fat cell that has been transferred and survives long term will permanently be there and it will be part of the permanent new fat distribution created from the surgery. You may want to consider talking to your provider about this. Best, Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

New fat cells after liposuction

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD