Is there a better way to model what my nose will look like from the front after a Rhinoplasty? (photos)

I'm on the fence about the procedure. I've had before and afters stimulated, and from the side view there is a clear change. The front view in the after doesn't look too different from what it is now. But I am sure that it will look different with bump removed and the tip lifted up. How can I see what it will really look like from the front?

The front view

You are correct to question what the front view will look like after rhinoplasty.  Many can achieve a satisfactory profile but from the front the nose can appear pinched, have an inverted V deformity or asymmetry.  It is imperative that proper attention be paid to reconstructing the natural barrel vault structure of a natural nose. In addition I am not sure your simulated profile is the best for your features--it appears perhaps a bit too much has been removed in simulation for the ideal result.  You should carefully scrutinize the front f=view results of the surgeons you interview.

Is there a better way to model what my nose will look like from the front after a Rhinoplasty?

Other than lowering a slight "rise" or "hump" on the dorsum, your nose looks quite nice.

What is it you wish to change?

Fred Suess, MD

Imaging with Rhinoplasty

Dear yellowroz, Imaging will show more substantial changes from the profile view and sometimes limited from the frontal view. With that said I would suggest looking at actual before and after photographs and even those patients imaging photographs of noses similar to your own and this will give you a good idea of proposed results. See examples in thew link below and before and after and imaging photographs in the imaging video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Digital computer imaging for rhinoplasty

Digital computer imaging works better from the site profile than the frontal profile.  There are some limitations to the frontal profile when performing  digital morphing.   More important than the digital computer imaging, is to look at prospective surgeon's before and after  photo Gallery, specifically of the formal views to see what is accomplished with the procedure.  Rhinoplasty is a difficult endeavor, so choose your Surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience.  For more information, online digital imaging, and many before and after results, please see the link and the video below 

Getting the results you want after rhinoplasty?

you can have simulation done to give you an idea of what your nose would look like. However in more than 35 years of doing a rhinoplasty I have seen many patients who had the simulation done and the nose after rhinoplasty look nothing like the simulation. The best way for you to achieve what you want is go to a surgeon who can show you many examples of his  work in noses like yours and this will be the best way  to get what you want. 

Photo Simulation

Photo simulation is an art all on its own.  In general, the lateral or profile view is easiest for the surgeon to create and for the patient to visualize. Frontal views are more difficult to create accurately, and frequently are not deemed acceptable by the patient.  This is because the frontal involves moving around shadows and different skin textures, as opposed to nice blue backround of the lateral view.  I try to emphasize that the nose will likely look good from the front if we obtained the right shape from the side. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Using Software to Determine Nasal Appearance after Rhinoplasty

Software is frequently used to help patients clarify their surgical goals. However, I feel a much better way for an individual to answer these questions is to consult with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who can show them  multiple examples of great results in others who had  noses like theirs. You want a good surgeon, not an expert computer technician.

Computer simulation of rhinoplasty results

With basic photo editing software, its possible to 'simulate' rhinopalsty results - this works best for profile/side views. It can also depict changes that can be made to the frontal view, but these frontal simulations tend to be less helpful and accurate.

Using software to predict your look after rhinoplasty.

Although contemporary plastic surgery imaging software can give you a good idea how your nose will look after rhinoplasty, it isn't perfect. There are certainly changes that will be seen in the 3-D front view after surgery, such as hump removal, but due to the 2-D nature of photos, these changes simply don't appear or are only vaguely displayed. With that in mind, always view rhinoplasty preview images with the understanding that they are slightly better than a ball park estimate, perhaps 85-90% of the actual result you'd achieve. If you like the images well enough, you're likely to like your result even more. Good luck!

Randolph Capone, MD, FACS
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

What Does A Lifted Tip Look Like From The Front?

Any patient who is uncertain about having a procedure should do more thinking, more research, or both. For you to have sought out a plastic surgeon and to have had consultations indicates that there is something about your nose that you dislike. Judging from your description, apparently it is your bump and the dorsal hump. Although I helped pioneer digitizing images to create computer-generated images of projected "afters," I am not entirely satisfied with the process, because computers don't do surgery:  surgeons do surgery.  Therefore, judging your anticipated results entirely from computer-generated imaging disregards some basic elements of anatomy. However, my job is to give you some information based on experience that can help you make an educated decision.  Nostril show (meaning:  how much of your nostrils can be viewed straight on) is influenced by raising the tip of your nose. From straight on, there should never be a clear view into your nose (which indicates too much nostril show), nor should there be no show of nostrils (which indicates a very downturned tip). The filing of the bump will be entirely more obvious in profile.  Have you asked for a narrowing of your nose [which can sometimes accompany filing]?  If not, there won't be much change to the bony elements of your nose as seen from a straight-on view. 

Overall, if you are on the fence, I suggest speaking with the surgeon(s) you have interviewed, or seeking another opinion with someone with years of experience who will help answer your questions in order to allow you to make an educated decision whether or not to have rhinoplasty surgery.