How long does recovery time for rhinoplasty take?

I would like to get rhinoplasty- specifically alar base reduction to narrow my nostrils. I do not want my significant other to know, how long will recovery time take? I am a student and have a month at the most to heal. Is that enough time for the incisions to heal? I understand that full results take a year but as far as swelling and incision healing time, is a month long enough?

Rhinoplasty recovery

Assuming that you don't experience any post op infection then yes, a month should be enough time for the small incisions to heal. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Kindly

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Accelerating rhinoplasty recovery

We did a survey for the international rhinoplasty meeting in Paris last month asking 50 experts what methods they use to accelerate recovery. Answers varied but a few consistencies were judicious (short term) steroid use, ice and elevation of the head. In addition a few used different types of medications to reduce bleeding and those using power tools instead of hand tools(i.e. Hammer and chisel) reported markedly less bruising. When bruising can be eliminated or minimized recovery is 1 to two weeks

Rhinoplasty recovery

One month should be enough for these tiny incisions to heal and become difficult to see assuming everything goes well without infections etc. Good luck

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Time after Rhinoplasty

I tell my patients that after 1 month colleagues and friends will not know that they had surgery. The incisions inside the nose to reduce nostril width are not seen. However the answer to your question will depend on how observant your significant other is and how intimate you are. 

Most patients are urged to take at least 1 week off from work, school, and social activities. Bruising and swelling around the eyes are to be expected and are quite variable. It usually starts to subside after 48-72 hours following the surgery. In most patients the bruising will have disappeared or can easily be concealed at 10-14 days, when the splint comes off. The tip of the nose may feel numb for 4-12 months. Most patients look socially acceptable at 10-14 days, but swelling continues to diminish over months. Patients may temporarily feel self-conscious about their appearance, but it is generally not noticeable to others after a couple of weeks. It may take up to one year for the nose to achieve its ultimate appearance.

I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon(otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. Robert Singer, M.D., FACS La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Healing time for an alar-plasty versus a full rhinoplasty

the healing time for an a larger-plasty is rather short since there are two small incisions at the base of the nostrils which usually  he'll rather quickly in the first month or so. Healing from a full rhinoplasty takes a bit longer based upon skin thickness, Sebaceous content of the dermis in the nasal tip, and the  surgical techniques performed on the nose, especially in the tip. Full healing on a rhinoplasty one year. For many before-and-after examples, please  see the link and the video below

7 days flash recovery with Closed Rhinoplasty

Ok, so some pictures would help to understand your concern.  We operate on patients from San Fran all the time.  Alar Base Reduction should be performed from INSIDE the nostrils to avoid an ugly external scar.  Generally speaking with CLOSED, SCARLESS finesse rhinoplasty, on day 7 when the cast comes off, you can put on makeup and go out for dinner that evening without any tell-tale sign of surgery.   If you are looking for a conservative minor surgery to address concerns, closed rhinoplasty can help limit swelling/brusing and decrease healing time which is otherwise much longer with open rhinoplasty where you also have to factor in the obvious external scars/cuts that also have to heal.  External cuts and scars are tell-tale signs of surgery.  Think about CLOSED SCARLESS rhinoplasty for quicker healing. 

All the best!

Deepak Raj Dugar, MD