Liposuction by resident? (Photo)

I am considering having liposuction of my abdomen and flanks at a well respected resident clinic. I know there is some risk in having a procedure done by someone who is at the beginning of their career, but I would imagine that the risk would increase with more difficult or technical procedures. Based on my photos, would this procedure be a complicated or relatively straightforward procedure? Would it be one that would be in the purview of a 6th year resident at a top-10 med school clinic?

Resident clinic cosmetic surgery

I think there is always a substantial risk with having procedures done and I can make institutions.
There may be an oversight during your procedure but the main purpose of the clinic it's for the residents to get experience.
My practice is almost exclusively devoted to body contouring Using various forms of liposuction and fat transfer.
In my opinion liposuction is one of the most difficult procedures to do very well. It would at least appear that way by the number of bad results I see.
It's an easy procedure to do but hard to do well.I can tell you from my experience when I was a resident some of the procedures were done with no attending surgeon in the room while others were done with an attending in the room but the surgery was done almost Exclusively by the resident.
You are having the procedure done for the purpose of letting the resident practice.
 I would personally choose someone with a minimum of 5 to 10 years experience after residency for any procedure.
 Even after the completion of a residency there is when I call "finishing school". 
There's no substitute for having performed hundreds of procedures on your own.
 As with all patients considering cosmetic surgery I recommend having multiple consultations before scheduling surgery.
 The rank of the medical school is irrelevant to the technical skill of the surgical residents.
 One of the disadvantages you may also find is that you may not know who the attending surgeon is.
When you choose to have cosmetic surgery away from the academic center you can review the background of your surgeon.
 Too many plastic surgeons do not view liposuction as the sophisticated procedure it really is.
Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Liposuction to be Done in Resident Cosmetic Surgery Clinic at Top Teaching Program

With good supervision by experienced faculty, who would be present during the procedure, you should be fine. Best of luck with your procedure.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring -- FEMALE HI DEF CONTOURING

If you have any loose skin you need that surgically removed or the liposuction results will be minimal and leave you with contour issues. I suggest an expert who does VASER 4D HI DEFINITION contouring.  Traditional approaches in thin people often lead to issues even in the hands of an "expert"  in my opinion.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction results depend on surgeon experience #plasticsurgery

You appear to be a good candidate for liposuction. As long as the procedure is proctored by an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon, I believe you will have a nice result with liposuction of the abdomen, waist and hips.

Lipo by a resident?

Your case is straightforward from a liposuction standpoint.  However, obtaining the best results take years of training in and out of school.  For an example...I completed a plastic surgery residency that was 6 years with two additional cosmetic surgery fellowships after I was a fully trained, board eligible plastic surgeon.  After 8 years in practice I still try to learn something to make each subsequent case just a little bit better.  That being said, many people gave me the same opportunity in residency and fellowship, and I applaud you for considering helping someone learn.Best wishes and good luck.

Shayne Webb, MD

Resident liposuction

Excellent question. Resident surgery clinics are a vital part of the education of new surgeons. I applaud you for considering having your procedure there. The fact is, that the resident surgeon is under close supervision by a senior attending staff physician who is typically scrubbed in  on the procedure. Based on your photographs, you would not be considered a technically complicated or difficult procedure and you can expect a nice result. I think that you can be confident that you will be well treated there. Best wishes,Michael Morrissey,MD