Second liposuction procedure on upper abdomen. Six month post operative abnormalities. (Photo)

Female age 38. I had a second liposuction procedure done on my upper abdomen, to remove leftover superficial fat from the first procedure. I have now completed 6 months of healing. I am left with an odd and uneven ripple in the middle of my abdomen. Is is due to left over superficial fat that was overlooked and should have been removed??

Second liposuction procedure on upper abdomen. Six month post operative abnormalities.

Thank you for your question and pictures.  There appears to be two issues.  Some areas look like they were over-suctioned and other areas look like there may still be a little fat left or some skin laxity.  At this point, I would recommend seeing and experienced Plastic Surgeon - you may need some fat grafting in those depressed areas.

Irregularities after revision liposuction

Revision of liposuction can sometimes be complex.  It is important to seek out an expert in body contouring for evaluation.  Irregularities present can be related to oversuction in some areas and undersuctioning in others.  It is likely that the depressed areas will need to be treated with fat transfer, and the elevated areas should be resuctioned.   Generally, it is advisable to wait at least 4-6 month before undergoing a revision treatment.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Unsuccessful Revision Liposuction

There is clearly a residual depression, possibly near a folding point in your skin. There also appears to be a lot of residual tissue that could have been taken. If you are up to it, a revision surgery done by a seasoned expert can improve your result. Go on a few consults and look at photos.

My bias is towards non-high energy based systems like Vaser, lasers, radiofrequency emitters. They add a layer of complication, unpredictability, and potentially more complications.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Liposuction revision specialist in Los Angeles

I would recommend our Hidef Liposuction Revision techniques which combine liposuction, lipo cavitation, Liposonix, and skin tightening. You may also need a fibrous release of scar tissue. 

Dr. Karamanoukian
#Realself100 Surgeon

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Revision Liposuction Is Metciulous and Needs Skill, Get VASER

I think you need a true revision specialist to take a look at your liposuction results and consider treatment which may include liposuction, fat grafting or even skin removal.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Uneven contours after liposuction

It appears your procedure may not have been done with great precision.

It's hard to tell from just pictures.

Examination is really needed to make an accurate assessment.

Based on your first picture you appear to have some skin laxity.

Patients who are aggressively treated with liposuction and who also have skin laxity are more prone to contour irregularities.

The area on your second picture looks like it's been excessively treated.

I suggest you first following up with your plastic surgeon to ask him or her what their thoughts are.

after that you should consider getting a few second opinions.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD