Liposuction / abdominal etching results. Are my expectations unrealistic? (Photo)

I had abdominal etching performed at the beginning of January. 4 months later, I do not see the results that were promised or I expected. I followed my doctor's directions, continue to work out hard and did not gain any weight. I expected to see better results by now. Are my expectations unrealistic? Can abdominal etching be performed again safely . I am seeing my doctor in a couple of weeks for follow up. How should I address my issues.

Vaser hi def lipo 4d

I appreciate your question.

Vaser assisted liposuction utilizes ultrasound to emulsify or melt felt prior to removal. It is also used to etch or define the muscles and normal anatomy to enhance the results. I use a specialized technique to remove the deeper fat areas and sculpt the superficial fat, so that one can achieve the goal of having not only a flatter stomach but also a more defined and curvaceous body if wanted. I can use this technique on the arms as well.

I also use the fat removed to graft into the pecs for men or breasts for women as well as into the arms and other areas to further enhance muscle definition.

The best candidates for the procedure already have a good muscular base.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery and high definition body contouring.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Expectations after abdominal etching

Abdominal etching is not effective for everyone, particularly if your total body fat composition is too high. Generalized liposuction would help reduce some fat from your anterior abdominal wall and flanks, but it cannot change your body fat composition. You would be better off getting the look you want through lifestyle modification. This means you would build muscle mass in your abdominal muscles as well as lose fat simultaneously. So but no surgery can give you that. 

Orna Fisher, MD

Abdominal Etching

You are well built and athletic, there is no reason you should have opted for 'etching'.  Your goal should have been generalized reduction of the abdominal fat pad.  Etching seems like a good idea and looks good in static photos, but is a far cry from true muscular visibility. 

You don't supply us with before photos, so no assessment of your results can really be made, other than minor irregularities. I recommend you get a few second opinions from surgeons certified by the ABPS and members of the ASAPS who specialize in liposuction.  

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

I suggest you see a hi definition contouring expert for treatment

It all depends on what was discussed as an ultimate outcome.  Etching can come in many forms.  Some doctors just try to thin down the fat in hopes that it will give an etched appearance, but this rarely is the case.  If you truly want an etched apperance, and I am not saying that is best for you without a formal consultation, you should go to someoen who is trained in male aesthetics and does a significant amount of hi definition procedures with multiple devices. In my practice I have 5 devices and I am often fat harvesting and transfering to chest, shoulders, claves, and arms to get that really muscular appearance.  Luckily your results are good for liposuction and the scars are barely noticeable but are still not in the areas I typically would use for etching.  I suggest a second opinion.  Best, Dr. Emer.