Do I need a lift or could I get by with just an augmentation? (photos)

I don't want breasts that are high on my chest. I want volume restored and a natural look. I am 39 years old, weigh 128 lb.. and am 5'8". I have nursed two children each for 1.5 years. Thank you!

Do I need a lift or could I get by with just an augmentation?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively.By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, hugs!

Breast augmentation without a lift.

You will look great with implants alone. You do not need a breast lift.

In our practice, we spend a significant amount of time to help our patients choose the perfect implant. We use silicone sizers as well as 3D imaging to give a preview of postoperative expectations.

Be sure to consult with a board certified/eligible plastic surgeon.

- Dr. Bryson Richards (Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon)

Breast augmentation

Hello, breast augmentation surgery without lift can give you very good results, implants could be located through the areola and possibly subglandular.

Best of luck, Dr Kemil Issa

Kemil Issa, MD

Augmentation and/or lift? You can get by with augmentation only

Good question. According to the pictures you present here and from my experience, I believe you could restore your breast volume and get a natural look with just breast implants. The link below will take you to some examples of patients that I've taken care of who are similar to you in height, weight and starting look and volume. They all had breast augmentation only. Good luck to you.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. Although nothing replaces in-person evaluation, breast lifting surgery does not appear to be necessary. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast surgery and breast implant type/size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. In bra sizers can be useful communication tools also. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. The use of computer imaging may be very helpful during the communication process.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery ( after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers).

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Implant without lift?

Nipple position is an extremely important factor when determining if breast augmentation alone without a lift is an option.  My general rule is if the nipple/areola is below the breast, then an augmentation without a lift would not be possible.  When a Plastic Surgeon places a breast implant, it has to be centered behind the nipple/areolar complex.  If the nipple is too low, that would not be possible.  In the photos you displayed, it appears as if you would be a candidate for augmentation alone without the need for a lift.  Due to the apparent laxity, I would recommend smooth silicone gel implant in the sub-fascial plane. This should give you a well balanced, "mature" breast with augmentation.

Samuel Shatkin, Jr., MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation, no lift

Hi.  Based on your photo, and your relatively normal nipple position, I think a proportionately sized implant should give you a nice result.  I don't think you need a lift at this time.

All the best!

Augmentation without a lift

Based on the photos you've posted, it does not look like you need a lift. An augmentation alone should restore volume.

David S. Chang, MD

Lift not needed

Thank you for your question and phtoos. From what I can tell, you would likely do well with an implant alone. Your nippple appears to be in a good position with some mild pseduoptosis. An aggressive dual plane technique will help optimize the breast/nipple position over the submuscular implant. Good luck.

It should be unanimous... you do not need a lift

and you should seek out a board certified plastic surgeon to help you realize your dreams.  Let the surgeon know of what you want and let your surgeon help you navigate the complex maze of implant styles and types and help you choose a size you will like.

Curtis Wong, MD