Implant removal incision

I had an under the muscle breast augmentation and I have about a 1 1/2 inch incision under each of my breasts. IF I were ever to get my implants removed or smaller in size, would the doctor be able to use the same incision site or would they have to use a different technique like an anchor incision?

Incisions

If you are removing or replacing implants your surgeon can use the prior incision.  If you require a breast lift as well then additional incisions would need to be made.  The extent of those incisions would be determined by the type of lift performed.

Incision Decision

Thank you for your question. If the implants are to be removed, then the same or very similar incision is used. If there is to be a breast lift additional incisions may be needed. Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal incision #breast augmentation revision #approach

Thank you for your question!  It will depend on the appearance of your breasts with regard to placement of the incision.  If you simply need an implant exchange, we can use the same inframammary fold incision.  If your breasts have changed significantly and appear saggy, then the surgeon may need to change the location or even add to the existing incision.  I would review this topic with whomever you choose to take care of you.  I hope this helps!!

What incision to remove my breast implants.

Thank you for asking about your (hypothetical) breast implant removal.

If your implants are removed, the same incision would be used. It would need to be make a little longer if the capsule is to be removed. You may need a lift as well - which would usually be a vertical lift, with an incision around the nipple and from nipple to crease.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Scar for explantation

typically the same incision is used. if you need reduction of loose skin, you may need a lift procedure. the amount of skin needed to remove determines the amount of scar.

hope that helps and best wishes!

Dr. Morales

ABPS Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Houston, Tx

Rolando Morales Jr, MD

Implant removal incision

There is no reason not to use the original incision for removal or replacement of implants.  Best to you!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Implant incision site

unless there is something out of the ordinary about your case, implant removal or swap can always be done through the same incision. This is the safest and best was to do it. Most of the time, this is a good time to revise the scar as well if it has thickened or widened to your dissatisfaction. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Incision site

An inframamnary approach through your preexisting incision would be a perfect approach. Consult with explant specialists in your area 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Incision choice for revisions

Your surgeon should be able to utilize the same incision for removal of your implants and pectoralis major muscle repair.  You may require additional incisions if other procedures are done.  It depends on how large your implants were and how loose your skin is.  Good luck!

Kelly Killeen, MD

Implant removal

The inframmary approach is usually the best and technically easiest approach for removing implants. Good luck, Jane