I did smart lipo my stomach last friday, but I still have a gut? (Photos)

I'm 32 y/o male, active Last Friday I had smartlipo done on my stomach, As I always had problem with my stomach. I trydiet , etc, it didn't work , so I decided to do smartlipo. its only been 6 days, still swelling, but my gut still comes out?, is that normal? They took about 600-700 cc. but my stomach still comes out as i have a gut. I asked the doctor why my stomach still comes out if we took a lot fat, He said it could be internally, my question, is that normal until it heals? PLEASE HELP?

This is very normal

two facts to help you. 

1) it can take up to 2 months to see the difference and you will continue to improve for 6 months!!!! you need to be much more patient. most of your improvement will come after 2 months, so it is way too early to stress out.

2) For men especially - we tend to hold a lot of our fat behind the muscle wall and this is not treatable by any kind of liposuction or a tummy tuck - only diet and exercise

Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo

It is still early in your healing process. You are still very swollen and it will take time for the swelling to subside. It can take a few months to see final results. Try to be patient and give it time. Contact your surgeon if you have any concerns, Best of luck!

Scott C. Lindsay, DO
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo recovery

Although it's tough, try not to judge any liposuction or Smartlipo procedure for at least 3 months. You are very swollen right now. Yes, you may have some intra-abdominal fat that will remain and give you some roundness to your lower abdomen, but what was removed from under your skin and above the abdominal wall layer will make a big difference. 600-700cc in someone active like you is a lot. Hang in there.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

SmartLipo results

Thanks for your question. A week is entirely too soon to see your best results; optimal results may take 6-9 months after SmartLipo. You should allow the swelling to go down (could last a couple of months) before beginning to see results. Should you not be satisfied with your final results, you should seek a second opinion. Hope this helps. Best, Dr. Katz

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Smart Lipo

It is important to be patient and discuss your concerns with your surgeon because they are most familiar with you anatomy and procedure. Swelling occurs in all patients after smartlipo and can take up to 3-4 months to resolve. Not every patient heals at the same rate, some heal quicker and some heal slower than others but it is important to remember that you will probably look bigger before you look smaller and that is simply due to swelling. Be sure to wear your compression garment for the period your surgeon recommends and follow a high protein, low sodium diet. Best of luck in your recovery.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

5 Days after SmartLipo of Abdomen

Five days after laser-assisted liposuction of the abdomen is much too early to make any judgments on the aesthetic outcome. You are most swollen the first week after the operation but it begins to subside over the next several weeks. You will see an improvement in about one or two months but the entire process takes up to four months to fully resolve. The good news is that the fat that is removed is gone forever and the swelling that is temporarily obscuring it will go away eventually. However, if you have significant fat internally (intra-abdominal fat) that is not addressed with this procedure. Take the opportunity to lose weight safely during your recovery period so that your cosmetic results will be that much better. In my practice, patients are encouraged to visit with a weight loss specialty physician who can assist with obtaining the best results possible. 

Christopher T. Chia, MD

Smart Lipo results

Yor are worrying about your result way too soon. Reactive swelling occurs during the first 2 weeks, and then things start to improve. However, Smart Lipo on an abdomen may take up to 6 months to reach it's final result. Make sure you are wearing your compression garment as instructed, as well as your activity level. Visceral (internal) fat may also play a roll, which responds to low-carb diet.

Gregory Chambon, MD
Overland Park Family Physician

Smartlipo Recovery

Too early!   You are swollen and it will take several weeks before you can judge your Smartlipo results.  Wear your compression, massage and hang in there.

Lawrence Broder, MD
Cedar Park Family Physician

Internal Fat

Thank you for posting your question. Even though it usually takes a few months before body readjusts after a procedure and settle with its final shape, I agree with the other physicians that what you have now is mostly visceral fat. As the others had said, lipo cannot take out visceral fat and the only way to get rid of it is through exercise and diet. Best of luck.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring -- MALE Liposuction

I wish your physician would have talked to you about proportion, as your sides and chest have a lot of fat now compared to your stomach.  stomach results will not be seen for months, although you have visceral fat (internal fat) that makes your stomach stick out more than normal and that will not be improved with lipo.  If you wanted a contouring result or more definition/six pack you may need a VASER HI DEF 4D approach.  Best, Dr. Emer.