I had a nose job, and the doctor told me that my sutures would fall out, but they didn't. Can I have it removed?

I had a nosejob 12 years ago and it was through the NAVY which was free and great, but I also felt like I was hit by a truck when I woke up and ended up in a recovery room that looked more like an abandoned mental ward at Balboa Naval Hospital and while everything healed great, guess what?!?!! I have a suture that was never removed that has skin grown around it inside my nose and I need advice to see if I should see a dermatologist, and ENT, or Plastic Surgeon? I want insurance to pay for this.

Suture in the Nose

If the suture is visible then it is not very deep below the surface and it can easily be removed in the office by a qualified nasal surgeon (ENT or Plastic).  But first, an evaluation is needed to determine whether the suture needs to be removed at all.  I would remove the suture if it is beginning to extrude into the nose, if it is causing discomfort, or if it risks causing an infection. The decision to perform any procedure requires a comparison of the relative risks and benefits. Good Luck.

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Remaining suture after nose surgery

I would go to see an ENT physician or plastic surgeon for removal of the suture. It may be a simple procedure that can be done in the office and a nose evaluation would be helpful for submission to your insurance.

Kristina Tansavatdi, MD

Can I have it removed?

Dear garygogo

If the suture can be seen, it can usually be removed in the office. You can see a plastic surgeon to have suture removed although an ENT can also remove it. It is generally not in teh realm of a dermatologist. Since its a foreign body, I think your insurance is likely to cover your visit to have it removed.
Sometimes, if its not causing problems, you might not need to have it removed. Your best option is to see a doctor and be examined.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon