Hypothyroidism, mommy makeover, peri-menopause (HRT) and weight loss?

I'm currently being treated for Hashimoto's (Synthroid/T-3), am on HR therapy (estrogen patch & progesterone) & have fibromyalgia. While I eat well & exercise moderately I cannot shift any weight-specifically in my mid section though I'm sort of fluffy all over (arms too). My questions is, does it make sense, or make a difference if I lose weight before considering a mommy makeover or a tummy tuck? I'm 52-years-old, 5'6" and 168 lbs. I felt my best at around 140 lbs.

Candidate for a MM

Pregnancy and motherhood are wonderful and exciting times in a woman’s life. Many women, however, will experience unwanted permanent physical changes that are not always desirable. All too often, women find it emotionally and physically difficult to adjust to these new changes in their bodies affecting their self-esteem and personal self-image. These changes vary greatly and range from stretch marks and varicose veins to the more significant changes such as, smaller and sagging breasts, enlarged waist with redundant skin and larger hips.
Fortunately, there are many treatments available to correct or improve these common post-pregnancy changes. Many of these procedures are non-surgical or relatively simple outpatient surgeries. Some treatments are possible because of new technology such as lasers and liposuction developed in just the last few years. These surgeries are commonly known as the “mommy makeover”.

Far more important than deciding if a tummy tuck or a mommy makeover is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that!
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!
I have also attached a video for a possible Mommy Makeover Candidate.

If your hypothyroidism is under good control and you don't have other significant health problems, you probably are a good candidate for a mommy makeover.  If you can loose a few pounds prior to your surgery this would be helpful.  But, at 5'6" and 168 lbs your BMI is below 30 and this puts you in a lower risk category than heavier patients.  Check with your primary doctor and plastic surgeon for recommendations in your particular case.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.  

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before tummy tuck?

I explain to my patients that excess weight contained within the belly cavity resists tightening of the muscles during a tummy tuck procedure.  Consequently it is one of the procedures were IF I feel significant resistance I do like my patients to lose weight before proceeding.  If on the other hand you do not have a lot of intra-abdominal fat then you can proceed at your current weight as long as you get a complete medical clearance.A face-to-face examination would be the most effective way to get an informed and valuable opinion.  Best wishes and good luck.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Mommy make-over - is it ok at my weight?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• At your present weight, your BMI is 27.3 and you are a good candidate for your mommy make-over.
  • If you expect to lose more weight, then see if you can.
  • Your surgeon will probably want you to temporarily stop the HRT around the time of surgery.
  • Although surgery is safe if your thyroid levels are normal, if you have hyperthyroidism (a low TSH), your endocrinologist may want you to wait until the TSH is back in the normal range.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Lose weight before mommy wake over?

While your HRT doesn't affect your surgery, the thyroid and fibromyalgia may.  Be sure to check with your internist or endocrinologist as to  the safety of anesthesia and surgery.  Losing weight to your "best weight" is a good idea.

Paul Silverstein, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon