Hair regeneration using Platelet-Rich Plasma?

male in late 30s with slight thinking in fron area that is not very visible when hair is long. May hair is way better than what you see in the after pictures of hair restorations but not as thick and full as used to be in my late 20s! is PRP a good option? how long does it take to show results? downtime? do I have to repeat it? Any doctor expert in this in SF area? Does it actually requires skill and experience as well?

Restoring fullness with PRP

Watch this video to see Dr. Edward Dickerson personally answer your PRP question! Get to know your options and find out if PRP is right for you.

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Use PRP (platelet rich plasma) therapy to optimize outcomes with Hair Transplant / Restoration

NeoGraft Follicular Unit Extraction is meant to be a permanent solution to hair loss. After the procedure is completed, I recommend utilizing PRP (platelet rich plasma) therapy to optimize outcomes. PRP is done by extracting your own blood, preparing it and reintroducing it back to the hair graft area. The plasma receptors trick the body into thinking there is an injury, bringing the body’s own healing mechanisms to the graft site. This allows the body to heal much faster than it would without the PRP. PRP is also shown to promote hair growth through cell replication. The proteins promote cell metabolism and enhanced growth of blood vessels to the area. These factors help the transplanted and surrounding follicles to regenerate and produce new hair growth. When PRP is combined with new transplants, it provides the best combination to ensure quality growth and healing.

Julio F. Gallo, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

PRP for hairloss

I thought this abstract would demonstrate the effectiveness of PRP for Alopecia. My office has found this technique effective for many, both male and female patients. 
Good Luck

J Cutan Aesthet Surg. 2014 Apr-Jun; 7(2): 107–110.
doi: 10.4103/0974-2077.138352
PMCID: PMC4134641Platelet-Rich Plasma in Androgenic Alopecia: Myth or an Effective ToolAbstractPlatelet-rich plasma (PRP) has become a newer method for the treatment of various types of alopecia. In this prospective study, safety, efficacy and feasibility of PRP injections in treating androgenic alopecia were assessed. Eleven patients suffering from hair loss due to androgenic alopecia and not responding to 6 months treatment with minoxidil and finasteride were included in this study. The hair pull test was performed before every treatment session. A total volume of 2-3 cc PRP was injected in the scalp by using an insulin syringe. The treatment was repeated every two weeks, for a total of four times. The outcome was assessed after 3 months by clinical examination, macroscopic photos, hair pull test and patient's overall satisfaction.
Results:A significant reduction in hair loss was observed between first and fourth injection. Hair count increased from average number of 71 hair follicular units to 93 hair follicular units. Therefore, average mean gain is 22.09 follicular units per cm2. After the fourth session, the pull test was negative in 9 patients.Conclusion:PRP injection is a simple, cost effective and feasible treatment option for androgenic alopecia, with high overall patient satisfaction.

PRP in combination with cold laser hair restoration

PRP is an optimal choice of therapy for someone your age and treating early onstage of hair thinning.  PRP is usually effective when done at least 4 times and can be spaced out up to 2 months depending on your doctor and evaluation. Experience and skill is very important by the physician when performing the treatment. Usually patients will see noticeable difference after the second treatment. 

In conjunction with PRP there is also cold laser hair therapy to stimulate hair follicles.  Typically patients wear the cap every other day or three times a week to stimulate hair growth and promote thickness and volume.

David P. Melamed, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Based on your history, PRP may be a good option for you.  There is virtually no down time.  But, we perform 3 sessions spaced 2 months apart.  It will take months to see a result.  PRP will not regrow hair in dead follicles.  The idea is to repair injured follicles and convert them into growing hairs.  Results like anything vary, and success is dependent on technique and patient selection.

Tim Neavin, MD

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Finesteride

In my practice all men get a combination of PRP/progesterone, pills and topicals. I suggest you see an expert, yes this has to be done by someone experienced.  There is no cure for hair loss, if this works it will have to be maintained forever.  I tell all my patients you take risks with any hair loss treatment, but I have had many successes. Dr. Emer.

PRP is your own blood product injected back to yourself. There is no great skill involved.

However, you have to understand that if you have genetic male pattern balding, there is no "cure" for permanent solution to your hair loss issue.  If PRP works you will have to continue with the treatment.

There is nothing wrong with doctors promoting off label treatments such as PRP, progesterone, low level laser light therapy as they have a right to practice medicine. Likewise the consumers (patients) have a right to choose their doctors and treatment options based on their own research and free will. However, it is my opinion that the consumer take a “buyer beware” approach. For every success story behind these treatments, there are many disappointed consumers who have spent thousands of dollars with no benefit.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

PRP for Hair Loss

PRP or Platelet Rich Plasma is a product that is extracted from patients own blood and has a variety of growth factors in it.  Although it has been in use in orthopedic procedure and for treatment of some joint conditions, in hair restoration we do not have solid evidence that illustrates its long term effect. 

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon