Do "Gummy Bear" implants (410 Cohesive Silicone Gel Implants) ripple?

I see a number of doctors talking about ripples and such. All of them stating that the more "Breast Tissue" we have, the less the ripples will show. Seeing that Gummy Bear implants are so different than other implants. Do they also ripple?

If a patient has very thin breast and subcutaneous tissue, rippling can be problematic with any implnt. Saline is the biggest problem, silicone less so, especially the more cohesive they are.

Rippling in Gummy Bear Implants

Because of the very cohesive consistency of the gel inside gummy bear implants, they do not generally ripple and are an excellent option for women with very little natural breast tissues.However, because they are more solid in nature, they may not be a good choice for women who are very slender, as sometimes it is possible to see the outline of the implant.

Burton M. Sundin, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Rippling in Gummy Bear Implants

That’s a great question!Gummy bear implants do not ripple given the cohesive consistency of the gel inside them which makes them ideal for patients with very little breast tissue.However, you can sometimes see the outline of the implant with patients that are more slender and have less breast tissue given their more solid nature as well.I hope this helps.

Reps B. Sundin, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Rippling

In my experience, cohesive silicone gel implants of any kind show less rippling and feel more natural than saline implants. Some of my patients will still choose saline however and with enough natural breast tissue to cover, rippling can be minimized. 

All the best 

Do gummy bear implants ripple?

Thank you for your question.  Any implant can ripple, including the Allergan 410 style cohesive gel implants.  

Style 410

Style 410 implants are designed not to ripple.  They have a higher cohesiveness and are firmer to the touch, but don't cause ripples. 
These implant are excellent for patients with a small amount of breast tissue and with minimal subcutaneous fat. They create a natural shape to the breast. 

Arko Demianczuk, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Do Gummy Bear implants ripple?

One of the best advantages of the "gummy bear" or form- stable, highly cohesive anatomically shaped silicone gel breast implants is how little it ripples.  Out of all the gummy bear style implants available, the Allergan 410 implants exhibit the least rippling because they are the stiffest.  Because they are the stiffest they will feel less soft than the others so you may or may not like that.  What no one likes is the rippling.  All implants do ripple though.  The "gummy bear" implants just have the least amount of rippling.  All silicone implants (including the gummy bear implants) do degrade over time, sag more over time, lose more of their shape over time and thus will exhibit more rippling over time.  The gummy bear implants just maintain their shape better and for a longer period before that happens.  Eventually though, you will feel the rippling because your breast tissue also changes over time as you age (as your skin and breast tissue atrophies).  

Other things that may affect how much rippling you will have include the tissue plane of placement (subglandular vs. subpectoral) as well as how much breast tissue you have to begin with and how large the implant size you are going with (the larger you go the more tissue atrophy or thinning you will have and thus the more rippling will show through).  

Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with lots of experience with gummy bear implants will help you choose the implant that is ideal for you.  Best wishes.

Breast Augmentation: Information

Dear Ms. VABGM,

Thank you for your information and questions.

Reduction of "Rippling":
1) Subpectoral placement: muscle padding
2) silicone gel: higher cohesivity ie similar to Brest tissue
3) adequate breast tissue

Unfortunately if you have minimal breast tissue you will have a greater chance of breast implant rippling.

I recommend that you make several consultative appointments with Plastic Surgeons who are experienced and Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. In addition ideally they are members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

I wish you my best and success,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
wwwimagineplasticsurgery.com
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

Implant Rippling

All implants ripple, however the more cohesive or solid the center material is, the less rippling will occur. Natrelle 410's have the most cohesive (and therefore firmest) of all silicone gel implants available, and so they ripple the least.  If you are exceedingly thin or have minimal breast tissue, then sub pectoral placement of bio-dimensionally sized Natrelle 410s are your best bet for the least possible amount of rippling. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Do Gummy Bear Breast Implants Ripple?

EVERY Breast Implant on the US market ripples in the upright position. However, Gummy Bear TYPE implants ripple LESS than other silicone filled breast implants and MUCH less than saline implants.

If you will not accept any rippling, do not have any breast augmentation. If your are willing to accept SOME rippling then these may be the implants for you. The rippling may be further hidden by choosing the proper size implants, place them in a proper breast pocket and placing fat grafts around the sides and cleavage to add further thickness to the tissues covering the implants.

Good Luck

Peter ALDEA  MD

Memphis, TN