Is it a good time to get a fat transfer breast augmentation after I lose a significant amount of weight? (23)

At the end of my weight loss I will be down about 100lbs. (240 down to 140, I'm 5'6"). Is it a good idea to get a fat transfer done immediately after my weight settles? I've heard that the "weightloss resistant" fat cells would be left at that point. I'm not sure if there's any truth to that. Thanks!

Breast Fat Transfer/ Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Congratulations on your weight loss!

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Timing is important in fat transfers

but you must also have decent tissue to fill and not droop with weight loss.  Get down to your weight you can easily maintain and then pursue fat grafting, if indicated and felt to achieve  your desired results.  There are plenty of doctors that can graft fat so choose wisely.  The better ones may employ some kind of system to process the fat and even do more, such as adding PRP (if ever found to be truly effective).

Curtis Wong, MD

When to fat transfer with weight loss

You got it! Think of it... there are a set number of fat cells in your body. These cells grow and shrink according to your weight and where you genetically programmed to have fat. The cell reacts the same, even after transfer. If you are at a heavy weight, your surgeon may transfer cells destined to get a lot smaller if you lose weight, what a waste! My strong advice is go into the surgery extra skinny and gain a few pounds after. I've had over 100% with the patients really committed to this. NEVER fatten up for surgery, as many patients think. You'll just lose the weight later and then have a less successful result.

Lisa Cassileth, MD, FACS

S it a good time to get a fat transfer breast augmentation after I lose a significant amount of weight?

Since the results of fat transfer to the breast are generally much less impressive than placement of implants you should discuss carefully with your ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon the relative indications for implants versus fat transfer.  I am sure it is appealing to consider reduction of fat in unwanted areas to transfer to your breasts but keeping in mind that a significant amount of the transferred fat will not survive may make placement of implants more practical.

Future weight loss will further shrink the results of your fat transfer surgery so please keep this in mind.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Fat transfer vs. implant based augmentation

I think fat transfer is an okay way to augment the breast a modest amount and can be done when patients are close to their ideal body weight. I continue to prefer my cosmetic results with breast implants - they are more reliable, with a lower revision rate and patients are generally happier.

Fat transfer after weight loss

Thank you for your question.  Generally, it would be best to be close to your ideal weight and stable at that weight before proceeding with surgery.  Furthermore, weight loss can diminish the volume of a fat transfer.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck! 

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS