Second facelift or mini facelift?

Hi, I had a full facelift 6 years ago, I am 58 years old and contemplating to either have a mini or another full facelift which it is not what I want (full), but after reading that mini facelift don't last and somehow a disappointment, I am not sure what's best. I have a medium to small fat back under my chin. I understand facelift last from 5 to 10 years. Because I had a facelift before. Can it make any difference in lasting longer or less years? Thank you for your time and responds. Sincerely

2nd facelift or minifacelift

Hello Siamak,Thank you for your question.  The difference between the minifacelift and facelift, is the length of the incision around the ears and how far the surgical procedure extends from the ears.  I reserve the minifacelift for very specific cases, possibly the patient desires a shorter procedure and has less neck sagging and aging.  Occasionally, I will recommend it in my younger patients (upper 40's or early 50's).  So, in your specific case, without pictures, I can't make a specific recommendation.  I would be happy to see you in a consultation if you would like.  My office is in Saratoga.  Otherwise, best of luck!

San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

SECONDARY FACELIFT

DEAR SIAMAK60,  THE DECISION REGARDING THE TYPE OF FACIAL REJUVENATION NEEDED IS BASED UPON THE PATIENTS CONCERNS AND THE SURGEONS EXPERTISE IN KNOWING WHICH PROCEDURE WOULD BEST ACHIEVE THE DESIRED OUTCOME. GENERALLY SPEAKING A MINI-LIFT WILL NOT PROVIDE THE LONG LASTING RESULTS A PATIENT MAY BE STRIVING FOR ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE CONCERNS WITH LAXITY IN THE LOWER PORTION OF THE FACE AND NECK. A CONSULTATION WILL HELP YOU DETERMINE THE BEST COURSE OF ACTION FOR FACIAL REJUVENATION. IN MY PRACTICE PATIENTS WHO HAVE A SECONDARY FACELIFT FIND THAT THE FACELIFT LASTS MUCH LONGER AND HEALS FASTER THEN THE PRIMARY PROCEDURE. YOU ARE AT A GOOD AGE HAVING A SECONDARY PROCEDURE THAT SHOULD LAST YOU WELL INTO YOUR SEVENTIES. BEST REGARDS, MICHAEL V. ELAM, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Second Facelift or Mini Facelift?

Thank you for asking a question that many of us have fairly well defined opinions about. First, it is important to understand that the earliest of facelift procedures in the early 20th century were short scar, skin-only procedures.  With the desire for more impressive results, the length of the scar grew, as did techniques to manipulate the SMAS, which is the tension bearing layer in a facelift.  If you previously had a facelift and feel that the results are no longer apparent, it is highly doubtful that a minilift will be of much benefit. However, if your neck look s good, an anterior corset platysmplasty may not be necessary and the platysma can potentially be addressed laterally. I recommend above all that you see an experienced facelift surgeon.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Decision Requires Personal Consultation

As other specialists have noted, the terms facelift and mini facelift have different meanings to different surgeons. The incisions made during a mini facelift are smaller, as the name implies, providing only limited access to the underlying tissue and muscle. That's the primary difference between the 2 techniques — not the duration of the results. Without a photo or personal consultation, it isn't possible to recommend the appropriate surgical approach for you. If you were satisfied with the results of your previous facelift and still live in the same area, I would return to the surgeon to discuss your specific concerns and aesthetic goals.

Depends on what your goals are

This is a very good question and it really depends on what your goals are. If you're concerned primarily about just a little early jowling, a mini lift or what we refer to as a weekend lift can be helpful. If you are having a recurrence in fat and excess skin under the jawline, a mini lift will probably give you fairly limited results. I've attached a video describing our approach to a mini lift which may be satisfactory since you have had a full facelift in the past. It would be best to consult with a reputable and experienced surgeon.

Edwin F. Williams, III, MD
Latham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Second facelift or mini facelift

Unfortunately, there is no exact definition as to what a mini facelift is. For some surgeons this can be quite an extensive procedure and for other surgeons, this can be a tiny procedure with small results. Most experienced facelift surgeons will tailor a second surgery to the issues that you have. A good examination and a discussion with your surgeon will determine what maneuvers need to be made in your second surgery to achieve the results that you are looking for. If a surgeon does not provide you with this information, it may be time to seek a second opinion.

Types of Facelifts

Hello,I think others on this page provided great answers, however I posted an article that may help you understand some of the medical/surgical talk. It goes over in detail the development of the facelift and how a facelift works. I hope its helpful,
James P. Bonaparte

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ottawa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Second facelift or mini facelift?

In general, results from a facelift will be more dramatic than a mini facelift.  An examination of you would really be needed to determine which procedure might be best for you.  If you just have minor sagging of the skin, it is possible that a mini facelift could be sufficient, but if there is enough skin to pull back, I would recommend a full facelift to give you the best results.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

2nd face lift or Mini face lift

When deciding whether to do a  face lift or mini face lift,  it all depends on how much excess tissue happens to be around the face and neck area.  If you've previously had a face lift,  perhaps in the past 5-10 years, you've probably had a bit of work done with mass dissection or elevation.  Which in this case,  you have nice results and  it just needs refreshing. If it needs refreshing , then do a mini face lift. this is when excess skin can be re- draped, tucked,  and re-positioned so it all looks improved and is less expensive.  If however,  even though you had a face lift 10 years ago, you're about ready to do a repeat face lift. .Every surgeon is different when deciding what is more important.  Before and after photos will  help give the doctors an idea of what would be appropriate. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask and feel free to give my office call, we'd be happy to help. Our number is 415-924-1313. 

Kimberly A. Henry, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

Hello and thank you for your question. I recommend that you have an in-person consultation with a facelift expert.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD