My eyes are very asymmetric. What can be done to fix them? (Photo)

When I look in a certain direction (usually up to the left) my eyes seem very googly..some blurry vision which I have to squint or readjust my eyes. I Started noticing this problem about 3 years ago and I don't know if it's a cosmetic problem or health concern..I am also unsure if it's due to underdeveloped bone structure or just eyelid fat making one eye look smaller or lack of fat underneath the eye making one eye look off set. Please help!

Doctor Answers 6

Asymmetrical orbits and vision changes

I would recommend you see an ophthalmologist for your questions and concerns.  Best of luck!

San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

The photo suggest the eyelid are not well aligned but overall the eyelids are pretty symmetric.

Are you telling us that your eyes are prominent?  I think you should consider being assessed by a fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeon.  These are board certified ophthalmologists who have additional training in eye plastic surgery.  The are qualified to also assess your eye alignment.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a regional directory of highly qualified surgeons on their website that can help you find a surgeon in your area.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews


You have exotropia - outward rotation of the eyes. A strabismus specialist would be able to assess and treat this problem. See the reference below for more information on exotropia. On the same link, the Home page has a tab at the bottom to look for a AAOPS specialist in your area. 

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Abnormal eye movements

Thank you for sharing your question. You have ocular motility problems. See a pediatric ophthalmologist or neuroophthalmologist for comprehensive evaluation. Typically, these problems are not serious. 
Good luck,

James R. Gordon, MD, FACS, FAAO
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 140 reviews

See an oculoplastic surgeon

for a detailed exam, review of your history, and to hear your concerns and expectations.  Your eyes look great from your photos with no abnormalities appreciated.

Curtis Wong, MD
Redding Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Asymmetric eyes

It appears that you may have an ocular motility or movement issue. When your eyes go out in upgaze (or any gaze), this is what is called an exophoria or an exotropia. This may be due to a weakness or an over action of 1 or more of your eye muscles. I would see your local ophthalmologist to do a full eye examination. Generally, these type of motility issues are isolated and are not associated with a systemic issue. However, it is best to have a full evaluation by an ophthalmologist. 

Maryam Nazemzadeh, MD
McLean Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.