Why is it that some doctors seem to prefer Juvederm over Restylane for the periorbital area?

I loved the look of the juvederm at first when it was injected in the tear trough, but over time, as it seemed to wear off, I'd notice pockets of fluid where it was injected especially on days when I was having edema from eating too much salt. I read the rystalane isn't as hydropholic as juvaderm. And so, I'd think it would be best for the tear trough area that is already prone to edema. I asked my doctor about his preferences. He stated that juvederm goes in smoother.

Restylane or Belotero preferred

Most physicians prefer Restylane and Belotero in the tear trough region, because Juvederm creates too much swelling in this area.
See a doctor who uses different types of fillers, not just one brand for all areas.
Good luck.

Fillers for the area around the eyes

You are correct, both fillers are hyaluronic acids, but they differ in how they attract water molecules. I have seen swelling many years after
injection with juvederm. Some can be corrected by hyaluronidase, however, some studies show that there may even be permanent changes to the skin from chronic swelling. The best HA filler for the eye area is either restylane or belotero. 

Best Injection for the Tear Trough Periorbital Area

The tear trough area is a very delicate area and extreme care must be used for these under eye injections.  Juvederm is a great filler but too hydrophilic for the under eye area.  I prefer Restylane or Belotero for the delicate under eye area depending on the depth of the hollowness.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with facial injections and the tear trough area.

Periorbital Area and Fillers Like Juvederm and Restylane

Most tend to stay away from juvederm in this area as it can cause swelling more than the rest.  What matters most is who is doing the injection and you do not use permanent fillers in this area.  Cannula injections limit compliations and make almost no pain or swelling.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Juvederm or Restylane for tear troughs

Juvederm and Restylane are both hyaluronic acid fillers made by different companies.  Juvederm tends to retain more water so there is a greater chance of puffiness under the eye area where the skin is thinner and looser.  I use Restylane instead of Juvederm for the tear troughs.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Tear trough fillers

Both are HA fillers.  Since Juvederm is much more hydrophilic, there are many more reports from patients of swelling  and discoloration from the Juvederm.  We are also seeing some patients who have edema for several years after juvederm in this area.  For these reasons it is not used by many people for the tear trough.  Using either Restylane or Belotero is a much better option with fewer reported complications.    

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Best filler for eye hollowness

You are correct.  Although Juvederm is okay filler to use, it is not the best for eye area as it collects more water. Best fillers for the eye area are either Belotero or Restylane. See link below.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Tear trough fillers

My experience was that Juvederm caused much more under eye swelling than Restylane. I quit using Juvederm.

Restylane is superior to Juvederm in tear troughs

No question, Restylane is better. Juvederm has lead to numerous reports and question on this site about swelling, even years later. A good injector can inject Restylane smoothly. My link says it all. Please read. Also, always have the doc use blunt cannulas for this area - safer, less bruising, less downtime.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Why do some docs prefer Juvederm over Restylane?

Both products are hyaluronic acid.  They have some differences on a molecular basis and this separates them in regards to molecular size and ability to perform and duration of action.  Without being too technical Juvederm has a couple of formulations and can last 6-9-12 months.  Restylane also has a few different formulations and typically lasts about 6 months.  Restylane recently came out with a formulation to help smooth the lips- Restylane Silk.  I think that what is important is to have a physician who commonly uses these products and has extensive experience in the areas to be treated.  I use all the products and formulations mentioned as well as Belotero.  

Because they are not all the same and there are differences I like having multiple products availilble to achieve the best results.  

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon