Is there a difference in results depending on the direction the doctor injects the lips?

I have been doing my research on lip fillers(Juvederm mostly) and noticed some doctors inject vertically and others horizontally from the side. I seem to like the look when the doctor injects vertically better and I don't know why. Is there really even a difference in results depending on the direction the doctor injects the lips? If so, what is the difference?

Injection results

No. It is important exactly where the injected filler is deposited, not the direction it was put in. The location of the filler creates the cosmetic effect desired by the patient and Surgeon in the consultation.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip injection techniques

There are many ways to create a masterpiece and the same can be said about creating beautiful youthful lips. We use both needles and cannulas, horizontal and vertical injections as well as linear and depot techniques. Each lips are unique, each patient desires are unique and each doctor techniques are unique.
Please make sure that you have a thorough consultation and assessment with experienced doctor prior to undergoing any procedure.
I hope that helps and best regards, Dr. Sapijaszko.

Mariusz Sapijaszko, MD, FRCPC
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat -- Go Slow, Use Cannulas

Yes fillers injected in different patterns give a different look also depending on the type of filler used to plump, contour or shape. I suggest you go to an expert that is reputable.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Role of injector in lip appearence

Choosing the right injector is absolutely going to be the biggest decision regarding your lip augmentation. I have seen all the videos of various ways to inject lips and have witnessed first hand in offices and at meetings. The bottom line is that the direction of the injection is mostly irrelevant. It is the area where the filler is placed and not the angle that is important. The injector must recognize what a perfect lip, beautiful lip attributes are, and try to create that.  I think that needles are more accurate than cannulas but use both.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lip injections

There is definitely a difference in lip injection techniques. Depending on the type of filler injected, physicians may use each injectable differently. It is best to have an in-person examination and openly discuss with your doctor the exact look you are going for. I personally like to use a combination of both horizontal, vertical, and sometimes angled directions to help volumize the lips and then custom tailor specific anatomic landmarks to help accentuate certain areas and keeping a natural lip shape to avoid "duck" or "cigar roll" lips. Hope this helps!!
Johnson C. Lee MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Juvederm

Thank you for your question parisprado. Juvederm is a filler used to enhance the face. The result depends on where the material is placed, not the direction in which the needle is injected. There are many ways to perform filler treatments and each doctor has his/her own preferences. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Thank you for sharing your question.  If the injector has vast experience with dermal filler lip augmentation the direction of injections will not play a role in your final outcome.  Treatment needs to be individually tailored to the patient in order to best meet their expectation.  Hope this helps.