Is it possible to have a dermatochalasis and ptosis surgery done at the same time?

Is it possible to have a dermatochalasis and ptosis surgery done at the same time? I have both mild cases of these and was wondering if it was possible to do both at the same time.

Ptosis and excess skin

It is through the removal of the excess upper eyelid skin that the levator muscle can be visualized and tightened through an anterior approach

Mild ptosis and dermatochalasis

The key word in your question is "mild," and that makes the combination of the two procedures possible, and even desirable.  More significant ptosis and/or dermatochalasis may require a more complicated correction, which may benefit from a staged procedure.  Most cases of mild ptosis are easily treated with surgery done at the same time as a careful and conservative blepharoplasty, in my opinion. 

Can dermatochalasis and ptosis surgery done at the same time

Great question. The answer is yes. It can be done at the same time and if indicated should be done at the same time. The advantage for the combined dermatochalasis and ptosis surgery is that there will not be scar tissue to work through during a second surgical procedure. Ptosis surgery involves the levator muscle and its insertion. Dermatochalasis / blepharoplasty surgery involves the skin. Please arrange for an appointment with a qualified plastic surgeon.

Chester K. Cheng, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis surgery and blepharoplasty surgery

can be done at the same time but in my practice, when doing ptosis surgery from an external approach, I will always remove a little skin with the procedure and never charge for the blepharoplasty portion... but not all surgeons agree with this concept as some will find every way possible to generate a billable service.  When done this way, there is no 'warranty' on the blepharoplasty and if you don't like it, a fee will apply if you want it 'better'.

Curtis Wong, MD

Eyelid ptosis can be corrected at the time of a blepharoplasty

Dear Alosrt

Thanks for the question. 

• Yes the eyelid ptosis repair is possible at the same time as a blepharoplasty (to address the dermatochalasis). 
  • There are some more complex aspects of every individual eyelid and the exact surgery needed to address them. 
  • During a consult, the examination and discussion will help formulate the ideal treatment for you. 

Best Wishes 

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Regardless of the surgical approach for ptosis repair, surgery to fix both issues can and should be done. If you are running this through insurance, understand that the surgeon will not get paid to fix the dermatochalasis if using the same incision. Because of this, some surgeons are reluctant to do both at the same time, which is unfortunate and speaks to the broken nature of our medical system. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery

I do these both procedures at the same time to get the best results.  Both these procedures can be done under local and mild IV sedation

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD

Not only it is possible, it is best to address both at the same time since the healing is once, rather than twice. There are exceptions. Consult with an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Myogenic ptosis and dermatochalasis: can I fix both simultaneously?

This is a great question. This issue comes up quite often. I would say yes it is fun to do both but you want to ensure that both issues actually exist. Make sure your surgeon is experienced in ptosis correction and can show you some examples of where both ptosis and dermatochalasis we're treated simultaneously. For the most part you want to be conservative with the skin removal because likely your largest issue is the ptosis and not the excess skin. Some surgeons simply are not comfortable with performing both at the same time. I think if you have a clear explanation of your risks and benefits and possibly get a few opinions you'll feel good about your decision ultimately.

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

You do not have mild upper eyelid ptosis.

With all of these surgeries, it is critical that you understand what is being offered to you.  You need upper eyelid ptosis and perhaps a small amount of upper eyelid skin removed.  Less is more.  This requires a surgeon who really understands ptosis.  That is most likely going to be a fellowship trained oculofacial surgeon.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a regional directory on their website that will help you find a highly qualified surgeon in your area.