Do I have capsular contracture? 2 years post-op BA. (photo)

Hello, I had my BA two years ago, under the muscle, silicone 380 cc. Lately I noticed that my right breast has become harder and higher than my left breast, it even looks a little bigger. It hurts a little when I try to move the implant, like an internal pain not superficial (on the skin). So my question is if I have capsular contracture? Or is it something else?

Follow up with your surgeon

You should be seen by a board certified plastic surgeon for a definite diagnosis. Please schedule an in person evaluation and to come up with the best plan. Good luck!

Dean Vistnes, MD.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#breastaugmentation #drdeanvistnes #realself

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Do I have capsular contracture? 2 years post-op BA.

Based on your description of your symptoms.  you may have developed a capsular contracture.  Please see your plastic surgeon for an examination, diagnosis and recommended treatment.

Thank you for your question. It's important that you see a board-certified plastic surgeon. They will be able to examine you and determine whether you have a capsular contracture. A capsular contracture can be treated with revision surgery that includes removing the capsule and replacing with new implants. 

Capsular contracture

You have capsular contracture. If your surgeon isn't an ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon who specializes in revision breast surgery, you should go visit a few who are. You'll need a surgery through an inframammary incision where all of the scar tissue is removed in one piece with the implant still inside it (total en bloc capsulectomy). Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Capsular contracture

I agree with my colleagues, that your description is textbook for a capsular contracture.  I would encourage you to follow up with your surgeon, if possible, or another Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an assessment and physical exam.  Rest assured, that if a contracture is confirmed, surgery usually can restore symmetry and a soft breast.  Best of luck!

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - capsular contraction

That does sound like capsular contracture!  Make sure your doctor is a board certified plastic surgeon.  There are specific techniques that can be used to treat this and prevent recurrence.  Best Wishes!!

Capsular Contracture after Breast Augmentation #breastimplants #breastaugmentation

• In order to determine whether or not you have a capsular contracture, you should definitely set up an appointment to be evaluated by your plastic surgeon.  A physical examination will help confirm this diagnosis. 
  • Capsular contracture is uncommon after breast augmentation, but can occur.  When a breast implant is placed, the body naturally makes a thin layer of scar tissue around it, and this is called a "capsule."
  • Sometimes this capsule can become abnormally thick, and this is called a "capsular contracture."
  • A capsular contracture can cause pain, firmness in the implant, and it can distort the shape of the breast. 
  • To correct this, a plastic surgeon has to remove the thickened capsule surgically. 
  • Thanks for sharing, and best of luck to you. 

Capsular Contracture

Hi CaitlynG12,

Yes, from your description and the limited view on the photograph, it appears you have a capsular contracture of your right breast implant. Your plastic surgeon should examine you and advise a course of action. 

Alfonso Oliva, MD, FACS
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Do I have capsular contracture?

It does sound and appear from the picture submitted that you have developed capsular contracture. Notify your surgeon so that they may see you and discuss treatment options with you.

Capsular contracture

From the looks and sound of it you do have a capsular contracture. I highly recommend that you seek out a board-certified plastic surgeon that does a lot of these capsular surgeries so you won't have to have multiple surgeries to fix this problem. The right thing to do is to remove the capsule and breast implant in place an acellular dermal matrix as a hammock and to decrease the chance of recurrence. This kind of surgery can be very tricky and therefore I recommend that you see somebody who is very experienced with it. Best of luck.