Buttock augmentation on a 28 year old male via fat transfer? (Photo)

I am a 28 yo male...interested in liposuction/fat transfer to my buttocks if I already have a small amount of liquid silicone that was done about 9 years ago. The injections have never given me any problems. So could the fat transfer be injected there? and.. how likely is a complication and is the complication treatable? Also I was expecting to spend under 18,000usd... with anesthesia.... is that realistic? Thank You, Edward

Male Brazilian

Hi Edward,

What you describe is not only doable but can give great results. Most plastic surgeons  Will condone free silicone injections.While free silicone can potentially give great permanent volume enhancement it has the potential for causing devastating complications. Liposuction and fat transfer I generally very safe procedures.There are of course complications that can happen from any procedure. Most complications that can happen are treatable.Infections are rare but can happen.Infections can however become a significant issue when foreign substances are involved such as free silicone. While Brazilians are generally more popular with women men tend to be very good candidates. Even moderate enhancements can give a striking improvements to the overall body contour. My practice is almost exclusively focused on body contouring you seeing liposuction and fat transfer.
I think you will be happy to know you will be able to have your procedure for substantially less money than what you had anticipated. 

Best,Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Male body sculpting is becoming more popular than even and a fat transfer procedure is a great tool. You can have it after silicone injections but your chance for infections might increase. It all depends on the shape you are seeking and realistic expectations. Seek a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field. We are having a special on BBL on RS at this time.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Male Brazillian Butt Lift

The Brazillian Butt Lift works in two ways to enhance the shape of your buttocks, both in men and women.  First, it improves your waist contour which most directly affects the comparative appearance of the buttocks to its immediate surroundings while improving the curves of the lower back, further enhancing the buttocks.  The second, is adding volume in the buttocks by using the fat harvested from the lower back, sides or elsewhere. Based on the photographs, it appears that you are a good candidate to be considered for a Brazillian Butt Lift through fat transfer into the buttocks. Dr. B.

Ramin Behmand, MD

Buttock augmentaion options.

Regarding buttock/hip augmentation, let me start off by saying that I currently see at least 2 - 3 patients per week that failed "brazilian buttock lift" (i.e. the fat melted away after 10 - 12 months) and are now seeking a more reliable and permanent option (i.e. buttock and/or hip implants).
Allow me to share with you some information that you may not hear elsewhere. There are only two proven safe and relatively effective methods for Buttock Augmentation and Hip Augmentation: 1) Autologous Fat Transfer (using your own fat, transferring from one area of the body to the other) and 2) Buttock/Hip Implants (semi-solid silicone rubber implants that cannot rupture &/or leak). Both are options but what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection.
Indeed because at least 50+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest. Another tip is that if you purposely gain weight (i.e. fat) for the procedure, the fat you lose first as you get back to your baseline weight is that very same fat that was transferred into your buttock...so don't fall victim to this recommendation. Although using your own fat is relatively safe, the one serious complication that can rarely (< 1%) happen is "fat embolism" in which some of the fat gets into the blood stream and travels up into the lungs, heart, and/or brain causing serious problems. This complication is more likely to happen with the larger amount of fat being transferred. This is even more likely to happen when using fillers like liquid silicone, PMMA, and hyaluronic acids. Also fillers, when injected in large quantities, have a relatively high infection rate, guaranteed tendency to migrate away from the original area they were injected, and almost always stimulate a lot of inflammation with a subsequent and disastrous amount of scar tissue/hardening.
Thus buttock/hip implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock/hip augmentation (at least in my practice). I prefer to insert the buttock implants through a 1 1/2 inch long incision along the inner curve of each upper buttock cheek at the level of the tailbone, similar to two opposing parentheses ")(" (concealed within the crevice between the buttock cheeks) and the hip implants through a ~ 1 inch incision just below the beltline above the hip region. The buttock implant should always be placed under or within the gluteus maximus muscle. In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag or shift/migrate over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle. On the other hand, hip implants are placed under just the fascia because no significant muscle exists in this region. However, because they are much smaller and lighter, their likelihood of migration is relatively low. Because all of this, it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this procedure so that the implant placement is precise for both locations. And in this case too, at least in my surgical practice, the infection rate is minimized to <2% (much lower than and contrary to popular belief by many other surgeons not experienced in buttock implants).
Depending upon the amount of your current fat reserves and their distribution, you may or may not be a reasonable candidate for fat transfer. If you are wanting to utilize the fat to further augment your buttock in addition to implants, then I caution you against this. The reason being that the fat needs to be placed into the buttock muscles for optimal survival, however, this is exactly where the implant needs to reside and thus risks infection and/or death of the fat. Because of this risk, I frequently avoid fat grafting into a buttock that has an implant. Bottom line, I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon specialist in buttock augmentation to determine what option is best for you. Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD