My first breat aug. consultation. What to ask?

I'll be having my first consultation tmr and I'm nervous. My research made up my mind on 300-350cc, under muscle, going in under the breast. What other questions should I ask the surgeon that would be important to know when choosing a surgeon? I want to be able to put my full trust in them. Also, I noticed this surgeon(from reference) isn't on 'real self'.. Is that a red flag? Please tell me what u think. I'd love another professionals' POV. All response AND OPINIONS(especially) are appreciated!

Thank you for your question.  I would ask the following:
  • Are you a member of the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
  • Are you a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery? (to be a member, you have to perform a certain number of aesthetic cases per year)
  • How many breast augmentations do you perform?
  • Can I see before and afters?
  • What is the cost and does that cover everything?
  • Can I see and feel the different implant options?
  • What are the pros and cons of each implant option and technique?
  • Where will the procedure be performed?
  • Do you have hospital privileges?
Also, I would say to focus on the look that you desire and not so much on cup size or specific implant volume.  In my practice, patients have their breast dimensions measured to narrow down the range of acceptable implant sizes to choose from.  They then try on different implant sizers while wearing a bra with a tight t-shirt, and look in the mirror to determine the look that they prefer.  Sometimes, wish photos can be helpful in communicating your goals and expectations.  Not being on realself is not a red flag.  Good luck!

Thank you for the important question.
I would recommend that confirming that your surgeon is certified by the American Board of plastic surgery; this will assure you that your surgeon's undergone rigorous training, testing, and continued medical education necessary to become and remain board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
In the process of selecting a plastic surgery I also encourage patients to ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Again, I cannot overemphasize the importance of careful selection of plastic surgeon when it comes to concerns such as safety, achievement of the desired outcome, and ability to manage complications that may arise (even in the best of hands). Keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

First consultation

Every surgeon performs are consultations differently that there are a few basic things you need to obtain from this visit.  
You need to feel comfortable with your surgeon.  
You need to make sure that your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. 
You need to have a basic understanding of the operation. 
You need to have a basic understanding of the risks of that operation.
You should feel comfortable in your communication with your surgeon so you can get what you want from the operation.
You should understand basic differences between implant choices (saline, silicone gel, form stable silicone, textured, smooth, round, shaped).
You should understand options for implant monitoring with ultrasound or MRI.
You should gain a basic understanding of the postoperative course and any activity restrictions your surgeon may place upon you.
The list can go on but in general terms you should be comfortable that you are making a safe choice and discussing this major undertaking with someone who has your best interest at heart.

What to ask at augmentation consultation.

Great question: There are many issues to cover
-are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery
(board certified alone could mean anything.. must be the ABPS
-under the muscle or above the muscle?
-incision placement? under the muscle , around the areola or axilla
- size (sounds like you have an idea already)
-facility office? surgery center? hospital?  best to be done in a AAAASF certified surgery center or hospital
-anesthesia general or local
(if local run away don't walk!)
-post op care and followup
-post operative bras for support
- possible complications, hematoma, infection (rare) capsular contracture (late complication)
Listen to your little voice in your head. If something about the doc or the practice strikes you as odd.. keep interviewing surgeons.

Michael Morrissey, MD

What to Ask at Your Consultation?

Thank you very much for your question.

Congratulations on deciding to move forward with the consultation!  There's no need to be nervous, only excited.  Your surgeon should make you feet at ease during the whole process.  Many patients go into a consultation without knowing anything about breast augmentation, and haven't even considered implant size or placement or approach.  You are ahead of the game.

Your surgeon should do careful measurements of your breasts and spend time listening to you about your desired appearance.  They should also be able to show you numerous before and after pictures, not just a "select few".  If they operate out of their office, ask to see the operating room area.

Ask about the different kinds of implants (saline vs. silicone, textured vs. smooth, round vs. shaped), and why they would use a particular implant in your particular case.  After the consultation, you should have a level of understanding of your particular surgical plan to such an extent that you can explain it to a friend.

Ask about the aftercare.  Are you going to see your surgeon or a nurse for your postops?  Are you going to get the surgeon's cell phone number?  What are the restrictions?  Do you have to buy your own garments or are they part of the surgical package?  What happens if you need a revision?

The fact that your surgeon isn't on RealSelf isn't a red flag.  I would just make sure that your surgeon is actually a plastic surgeon (and not a "cosmetic surgeon").  Is your surgeon listed on the ASPS website at  If not, that may be a red flag.

And after your first consultation, go on several more.  It's a bit like test driving cars.  Sometimes you figure out the right car for you after you take a few cars for a spin.

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Questions to ask for first breast augmentation consultation

Ask if the plastic surgeon is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, how long he or she has been in practice, how many augmentations he/she does a year. If you are uncomfortable with the consultation get a second one. Work with the plastic surgeon on deciding what is best for you.

Fred Suess, MD

Here are some basic guidelines and questions to get answered during your consultation:

1) Most importantly, make sure the surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery
2) Discuss the variables in implant surgery.  Some that you've already decided:  implant size, implant shape, saline vs silicone, incision location, implant location.
3) Facility where the surgery is being performed. Make sure if a surgery center, it is an accredited facility
4) Discuss anesthesia and if an anesthesiologist is present
5) Lastly, make sure you connect with the surgeon and the office. You want to be comfortable and trust your surgeon before undergoing any surgery.  Make sure you like the staff and feel at ease in their presence.

I know this is a big decision so take your time.
Good luck!

Khashayar Mohebali, MD, FACS
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

First consultation.

the first thing is that forget about that number you have in your mind. If this will be your first consultation then you have never use sizers to know what 300-350 ccs will be for you. 300cc for you will not be the same that for other person. 

Important things you need to know of your surgeon: Is he a board certified plastic surgeon? Check in the national Plastic Surgery society of his status, if your surgery is in the USA, you can check in ASAPS os ASPS. if your surgery is abroad check in the national society of that country. here in DR our society is SODOCIPRE. the fact that he is not a member of realself, does not discard it immidiately, but being a realself member will be a good sign. where will your surgery be performed? make sure is in an accredited facility. ask for before and after pictures, and the most important is trust, you need to go out of that office trusting every word that he/she said. 

Luis Eduardo Redondo, MD

Breast Augmentation

Choosing to undergo a surgical procedure is a decision that requires preliminary research to help you understand what’s involved in your medical treatment. One of the most important decisions you’ll need to make is deciding which surgeon should perform your procedure. To ensure a higher level of satisfaction and significantly reduce complications, the most suitable surgeon for you should possess specific credentials, qualities and experience.

The link below has a list of 14 questions you should ask your potential Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. 

All the best.