One breast more painful/stiff than the other. Silicone implants. dual plane. Areola incision. Sx 7/8/16. Any suggestions?

My L breast is more tender and has had more pain, slightly stiffer than my R breast and my nipple is way more sensitive.There is good movement of the impant- but not quite as good as the R. My dr thinks there is blood in the pocket * recommends NSAIDs and massage TID.My ?s are: can the blood be absorbed, what are the risks of developing capsular contraction due to this blood, & will singulair/massage help? Anything else that can help resolve this issue? The breast is not sitting high Thank you

Blood in the pocket

Your questions are so hard to answer without an examination.  However, if there is blood in the pocket and any concern that the tightness is progressing, then I would recommend Singulair.  It is a very safe drug and better to treat expectantly than to wish you had two months from now.  I think you will be fine.

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Breasts don't heal in identical manners

and you're living proof of that.  Without changes in breast appearance or characteristics, nothing concerning is happening and yo focus on treating the symptoms.  Things will continue to improve with time.  As for blood being in your pocket, it that was true, one breast would be bigger and firmer... and I'm not sure why your surgeon would mention the possibility of a small amount because its nearly impossible to diagnose and if truly minimal, nothing is done for that.  Hematomas are known risks for increasing the changes for a CC.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breasts

You have two different breasts, and they don't always heal in the same fashion. If there is minimal blood, it can resolve over time. A larger blood collection would need to be removed to minimize the risk of capsular contraction. Singulair and massage may be helpful in minimizing the risks.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Singulair for Capsular Contracture Prevention

If your breast is a bit stiff, Singulair is a minimal risk option for softening your breast if contraction forces are having an effect.  Studies have shown a small, beneficial effect of this leukotriene inhibitor in reducing capsular contracture risk.   Ask your doctor about it.  The dose is typically 10mg per day.   You may be able to search the literature by logging into pubmed.com and doing a search of the potential benefits of Singulair or Accolate. We know that blood in the pocket can increase the risk of capsular contracture.    Generally,  I would consider re-exploration if the breast were much firmer and larger than the other side.  An ultrasound can give good information as well as to whether there is a fluid collection.   Please speak to your doctor about these options.   Best wishes!

Stephen Bresnick, MD

More pain stiffness in one breast after surgery

It is not uncommon to have some differences in discomfort and sensitivity this soon after surgery, as well as some differences in softness between the two breasts, Your surgeon is correct that there may be some blood or fluid in the space around the implant. Small amounts are generally absorbed and don't present a problem. I recommend that my patients vigorously massage for three months after surgery, and most of these issues will resolve

Early Asymmetry

Thank you for your question. It is not unusual for one breast to heal at a different rate than the other. In essence it is two separate surgeries and it can take up to 3 months for all of the swelling to resolve and the implants to settle. Without a physical exam, it is impossible to know if there is blood or fluid in the pocket. If there is, it could possibly increase your risk of capsular contracture in the future. Be sure to follow this closely with your PS. Best of luck, Dr. Kludt

Nathan Kludt, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon