Right breast hurts after post-op drainage massage, could something be wrong?

I'm 19 days post op and just started drainage massages I got one yesterday and it was fine today I got another and one of my breasts has been really sore I'm not sure if this is normal or related to the massage of if there could be something possibly wrong should I be worried because before I felt no pain

Symptoms without changes in your breast size

are just that... symptoms.  And pain on one side and not the other side is very common with breast surgery as the breasts may not heal in identical manners.  If the lymph massage is very vigorous, would probably back off and avoid anything that aggravates your symptoms.  You should always be clearing your activities with your surgeon as he/she is best prepared to help you through your recovery.  

As for implant massage, though there may not be proof any any benefit, my patients have great results and help improve their outcomes with massage of the implant.

Implant Massage Is Unnecessary

If you are referring to implant massage after breast augmentation, you do not need to continue. There is no evidence that this old and tired technique is necessary in normal healing, or in the prevention or treatment of capsular contracture. You should stop immediately if your breast hurts. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Massage

It may be that the massage was done too early in the recovery process or too aggressively.  It is best to contact your surgeon for instruction for how to proceed as he/she is most familiar with the details of your surgery and how you have been progressing through recovery.

Camille Cash, MD

Post operative pain that is New...

Any changes before 6 weeks following an operation like breast augmentation should be addressed by your plastic surgeon .  Massage is a good idea as long as there are no contraindications .  Early post operative may be too soon to begin massage.  If the side that is particularly painful is now swollen it may mean that you have developed a hematoma, or bleeding around the implant.  So, my recommendatin is to call your surgeon and have them check it out.

Good luck to you.  I hope you feel better.

Dr. Kimberly Henry

Kimberly A. Henry, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Post op massage

It is probably nothing. It can happen if the massage was a bit deeper than needed. I am assuming the implants are beneath the muscle. Look for swelling and bruising which would be signs of bleeding and be sure not to let them massage deeply at this stage.

All the Best,

Dr. J