Botched labiaplasty revision? (Photo)

I had my labiaplasty done by the chief gyno doctor and am so unhappy. It is honestly worse than before. She completely amputated one side of my labia, so now my clit is not supported right and is hanging and rubbing. Which is worse because that skin is sensitive vs. the extra labia I had that didn't rwally have any sensation. I'm wondering what to do. It has been plenty of time to see the final result. My surgery was covered under insurance since it was physically uncomfortable.

Botched labiaplasty

I reviewed your photos. Your right labium minora was removed with a trimming labiaplasty. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. I probably would recommend a right clitoral hood flap to reconstruct your labium, which I invented about 6 years ago.  I have performed this procedure over 30 times with outstanding results, but very few doctors have ever done this procedure. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Botched labiaplasty with clitoral deviation

Chief of department is an administrative position which is salaried in some hospitals and a rotating voluntary obligation in others. It is not a distinction of clinical expertise in any particular aspect of gynecologic practice.If there is tension on the scar tissue causing discomfort a variety of options can be tried including steroid injections, laser resurfacing or z-plasty. I would not commit to any specific approach without the benefit of a thorough examination.

When too much is taken

as in your case, you do need a revision utilizing flaps from adjacent tissues.  As mentioned by the gallery, you do need to allow complete healing to occur, then have a formal consultation where excess tissue can be identified to allow for use in reconstruction.  You must find someone who has experience as you don't have many second chances here.  Best wishes.

Curtis Wong, MD

Labiaplasty

I agree with Dr. Alter, who is our authority on these cases.  Please see him for a consultation when you are ready. 

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty reconstruction

It does appear most if not all of your right labia minora was amputated during the procedure. Depending upon how far out you are from surgery, time may be on your side. If you are at least 6 months out then the very next step is to visit a labiaplasty specialist who is also experienced in "flap" procedures (typically a plastic surgeon) as this will likely be require to reconstruct the right labia minora. Glad to help. 

Ryan Stanton, MD

What To Do About Bad Labiaplasty Result?

I'm sorry to hear about the symptoms resulting from your labiaplasty. A revision surgery will be more difficult than original surgery. Because doctors on your insurance panel aren't necessarily experts at labiaplasty, especially for revisions after problems, you should search for the best surgeon. Look for a labiaplasty surgeon trained and experienced in rotating local flaps for reconstruction, even if that means paying out-of-pocket.

The tissues take a while to heal, so it's best to wait at least six months before a second operation.

Click on the link below for help in how to find a good doctor and how to prepare for a consultation.

All the best. 

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty revision and reconstruction of an amputated labia minora

Labial reconstruction is a delicate procedure that can reform the labia minora using a skin and tissue flap.  This may require an outpatient surgical procedure.  Our office specializes in labia minora reconstruction and revision.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Botched labiaplasty revision?

Unfortunately, not all gynecologists or plastic surgeons are well trained to do this operation the correct way. Since the tissues are so pliable, by stretching the labia one can easily over resect the tissue, in essence, amputating the labia. You did have a linear resection and this was carried up to and including the lateral hood of your clitoris. I, personally, prefer the wedge resection technique. This upper labial anatomy can be complex, with two or three pleats of tissue draping over and down from the clitoral hood. In your case it seems this was cut across and amputated, altering your anatomy. With the wedge resection, surgical misadventures are avoided in this area. You should wait at least 6 months before seeking repair. See a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist with experience in these complex issues. Good luck.

What to do for a "botched" labiaplasty. WHO should be performing this type of surgery??

First off-- There is hope!  (I will get to my recommendations in a moment...)

As the most experienced female genital plastic/aesthetic surgeon in Northern California (> 650 labiaplasties...), I am well aware of the complications you have experienced, as I am called on to try to revise, or to evaluate the "malpractice" cases brought against inexperienced Gynecologists who "...Rush in where Angels fear to tread..!"  
Your situation is "classic" and should serve as a warning for others.

BEWARE (!) of gynecologists who offer to "...do it under insurance" in a hospital under general anesthesia!  This usually means that the doc is not experienced enough to be doing it in their office surgical suite under a LOCAL anesthetic (where the majority of experienced genital plastic/cosmetic surgeons do their work.) The most experienced and best genital surgeons do not take insurance, as even if there is "functional" discomfort, if the insurance company decided to look into it, they would probably consider it "cosmetic" and then you'd have a huge hospital bill to pay.  Unfortunately, many gynecologists who are UNTRAINED in good plastic surgery technique and UNTRAINED in the specific specialized procedure of cosmetic labiaplasty think "..what's so hard?  I can just CUT IT OFF, which is what they do, often to disastrous rresults. They also are ill-prepared to deaql with the clitoral hood, so ignore it and it ends up in so many cases juse "hanging there" afterwards...

Yeah, harsh comments but, if you speak with experienced genital surgeons, SO TRUE! Yes! There oughta be a law... and I personally am working on that.

For you:  Wait until at least 3-4 months have passed after your last surgery; then see a true expert in revision and get an educated opinion as to what would be best for you.  It is entirely possible that by this time your issue(s) will be on their way to resolving themselves, but if not, one of us can give you educated direction to work successfully with your anatomic situation. Do not plan on insurance covering any revision, unfortunately... (You may click on the web link below to see examples of the work I do here in Davis...)

Very best wishes!!

Michael P Goodman MD
Davis, CA

Labiaplasty problems

Sorry  to hear where you are after 2 labiaplasties.  Labiaplasty revision is highly specialized and many of the doctors who are able to do these procedures are not on insurance plans. I would say wait 6 months since the last revision before attempting any further revision. When you meet with someone you need to make sure that they are comfortable with more than just the "trim technique."  You would need to say " I want to see photos of your revision labiaplasties only." Then review someone who may have the problem you are having and ask many questions.  Best wishes.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon