Bad areola reduction? (Photo)

I had an areola reduction two months ago and my areolas are still huge! I wish I had a before picture but they weren't much bigger than they are now! My scars are also jagged and uneven, some are even raised. I'm very upset with my doctor.He said that he couldn't go any smaller, was he wrong? Will my scars look better with time and is it safe to get a second areola reduction with new breast augmentation ? I also think I'm getting a capsular contracture .

Periareolar Mastopexy

You should wait several months for the scars to heal and the breasts to settle.  I think that you could get a further reduction in areolar size.  Best wishes.

Failed Areolar Reduction

There's more than just an inadequate areolar reduction going on. No, I'm sure the doctor tried, it's just that your tissues are too tight with those large implants. Doing the same thing again and expecting a different outcome doesn't make sense. You'll need to be examined and your options discussed, something I can't do with just a photo.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Areola Reduction

In my experience, areolas can be reduced quite significantly using appropriate suture technique. It looks like you are limited by your larger implants. I would recommend reducing the size of your implants while having an additional areola reduction. 

Large areola even after areolar reduction

The large breast implants you have will preclude an effective reduction of the areola.  Your best option, if you really want to reduce the areola, is to downsize your breast implants, and re-do the areola reduction.
Good luck!

Nirav Savalia, MD

Areolas too large

From your photograph and history, there may have been a fair amount of extra skin along with a very large areola. when a large implant is placed, it puts stretch on the soft tissues as well as takes up the slack of the extra skin. There is then not room to take out much skin to make the areola smaller. If you want a smaller areola, you may have to convert this to a vertical mastopexy with a much smaller implant. The tension then will be spread out along the vertical scar and not only on the circular scar. Discuss this with your plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Areola reduction

Based on the photos, you have really large implants under the soft tissue envelope which does limit how small the areolae can be reduced.  The stretch of the skin and soft tissue above it limits how small the areolae can become.  Sorry..but this is usually discussed before the surgery...at least in my practice.  If you want smaller areolae then you will also need smaller implants.  Hope this helps. 
Dr Vasisht
South Shore Plastic Surgery

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Areola reduction can work.

Greetings. I use areola reduction frequently and it does work to a certain point. If you also had large breast implants placed at the same time you're going to cause the skin to stretch again as your whole breast enlarges. This will limit the success of the areola reduction, widen the scars, and make them irregular. People who smoke do even worse with re-stretch. If your goal is to have smaller areolas exchanging to larger breast implants will Be a mistake. Either leave the breast implants alone or go smaller. I would suggest no revisions until 1 year out to sort out whether you have a CC. See your plastic surgeon about your concerns. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD

Very few indications for a donut mastopexy at the time of breast augmentation.

In my opinion a donut mastopexy is one of the most overused operations. There are very few indications for it. The areola is not made smaller but actually is made flatter with tension distributed along the entire incision. This translates into poor scarring.

Areolar size

Unfortunately, it would be near impossible for your areola to maintain their reduced size with so much tension placed on them by the large breast implants. Over time, as the skin relaxes, your physician will be able to gradually reduce the size of the areola if that remains a concern of yours. 

David Marcus, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Areolar reduction

Based on the photo, it will be difficult to reduce your areolae significantly without reducing the size of your implants.  In order to accommodate the volume of your implants you currently have, there has to be an adequate amount of skin.  In your case, some of that skin is in the areolae.  If a surgeon tries to reduce the areolae further, it will likely stretch out again.

David S. Chang, MD