Would artefill-bellafill work to improve rolling acne scars?

Bellafill--the only filler on the market approved in the U.S. for the correction of acne scars

Bellafill is indicated to
treat rolling acne scars by adding volume to sunken scars that have developed
as a result of an irregular healing and loss of collagen from a history of aggressive
acne inflammation.  Whether or not this
would be the best option to correct your acne scarring however cannot be accurately
determined without a physical assessment and evaluation of your skin and tissue
tone, medical history or the opportunity to comprehensively discuss your
desired goals.  There are many wonderful
options available to you and while the information on this website is an
excellent resource for researching your options, it is no substitute for an
in-person consultation with a board-certified physician who specializes in
dermal filler and scar correction options.

Bellafill for acne scars

Thank you for your question. Bellafill is a 5 year filler FDA approved to correct nasolabial folds and atrophic acne scarring including: Icepick scarring (narrow), Rolling scarring (wide) and Boxcar scarring (narrow to wide). Bellafill is placed below the depression using a fine needle. The injectable gel immediately lifts pitted acne scars for a more smooth appearance. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel
Double board certified
Plastic surgeon
Hoffman Estates

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Bellafill is the only dermal filler currently to have FDA approval for treatment of acne scars. If your scars are distensible, meaning they can be stretched flat, Bellafill may be a good choice for them. However, depending on the amount of surface your rolling scars cover, a different option that can cover a large area at once, such as fractionated laser resurfacing, or subcision, may potentially be better. I recommend visiting a board-certified dermatologist with experience treating acne scars for an in-person consultation to come up with the best treatment plan for you.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Bellafill is FDA-approved to treat rolling acne scars.  The results are essentially permanent and require at least 2 sessions spaced approximately 4-8 weeks apart.  Additional treatments that my practice offers for acne scarring are CO2 lasers, Erbium Lasers, Vampire / PRP treatments / dermapenning, and Bellafill.  I would encourage seeking a consultation to decide the best treatment plan for you.

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bellafill for rolling acne scars

Bellafill is best for this type of acne scars. Acne scars are typically a spectrum. Best indication that the scar will respond to treatment is whether it disappears or improves significantly when you stretch it with your fingers (distensibility).

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bellafill or Aretfill Works Perfectly for Rolling Scars.

Bellafill, is the FDA approved just for this type of scar, the rolling scar. These types for scars are generally the result of volume loss and Bellafill or Artefill can replace that loss very easily as long as the overlying tissue is soft. Bellafill is made of non-absorbable beads called PMMA particles that will build your tissue and as a result the effects of the treatment will last a long time (probably for life).

Because it lasts so long, you should be aware of the risks and benefits of these types of fillers. I have added a video that may help you.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Bellafill | Artefill for Acne Scars

Thank you for your question about Bellafill.

Bellafill works for acne scars that are distensible and flatten upon manual traction.

To be sure what might be right for you, see two or more experienced, licensed and board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Bellafill for rolling acne scars

Bellafill can be used to treat some acne scars, but it seems to work best for rolling acne scars.  You would need to be examined to determine if your acne scars might be improved with the treatment.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bellafill (Artefill) FDA approved for treating Acne Scars

Bellafill, the new name for Artefill, has been FDA approved for treating rolling acne scars of the check in patients over 21. It tends to work best on distensible scars--those that flatten out when the skin is gently pulled.  It has been a wonderful addition for acne scars in my office.  Of course a consultation is necessary to determine if you are a candidate.  Get a consult with someone you trust with a good experience with the product.

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler complications in Santa Monica

Although many doctors continue to use Bellafill and Artefill for acne scars, we continue to see patients with permanent filler complications which require surgical excision. For this reason, we do not advocate the use of permanent fillers so close to the skin. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Santa Monica

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS