"American society of cosmetic breast surgery"???

Is a certification for "American society of cosmetic breast surgery" trustworthy enough for a breast augmentation? I tried to google this and couldn't find anything reliable enough to back up

"Amer Society of Cosmetic Breast Surgery"

There is no such organization that is recognized that is called the "American Society of Cosmetic Breast Surgery". Check with your local Plastic Surgeon, who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, or get in touch with the American Society of Plastic Surgery.  Both are legitimate and recognized by the Amer. Board of Medical Specialists.

ABMS Board Certified in Plastic Surgery

Hello Critical Thinker-
I agree with what everyone else is saying. The standards of the ABMS (American Board of Medical Specialities) are essentially what makes American medicine of such high quality. Smart to follow its lead. 
Good luck.

Mark Anton, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

"American Society of Cosmetic Breast Surgery"???

Run away, Jg. Don't walk.  Run, and don't look back.  Don't be fooled.  A "Society" of anything does not automatically imply "certification" of anything in particular.  You can go out and start your own "San Francisco Society of Awesome Breast Surgery" if you want to and no one can stop you.  Whether it will be recognized by medical community and mean anything is another story.  There are a lot of official sounding "boards" out there so it's hard to know who to believe.  Not all states have "truth in advertising laws" that require that doctors can only claim that they are board certified if they state what board is it that they are certified by and can only claim boards that are recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties.  Even nurses and some doctors not in the specialty can be fooled.  The only "official boards" recognized universally in the medical field in the U.S. are the ones recognized by the ABMS (American Board of Medical Specialties).  The American Board of Plastic Surgery is the only" board" recognized by the ABMS and the health care industry as the board that certifies plastic surgeons to do comprehensive cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery of the Face, Breast, and Body.  If your PS is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, he or she will proudly display that. If you want a board certified plastic surgeon to treat you, that's the board you have to look for.  

There are many great board certified plastic surgeons in San Francisco so do not settle for anything less.  

ASCBS?

It is not a legitimate board... so do your homework on your surgeon's experience, results, and policies before considering seeing someone not truly board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  If its an ex-member of the ASPS, that could be a reasonable choice if that surgeon simply didn't want to waste the money recertifying.

Curtis Wong, MD

American Board of Plastic Surgery and nothing else

Only surgeons with the ABPS certification are the real deal and the only ones you should trust to do your surgery. There are many bogus boards out there meant to confuse and deceive you. Be careful!

Board certification in Plastic Surgery is important

Surgeons that are board certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery and are members of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons are the surgeons you should be speaking to regarding cosmetic breast surgery. 

NOT all certifications are reputable

Jg went, thank you for your question, your doing a good job in researching the acclaimed certifications of your surgeon. I have not heard of that society. The only plastic surgery board recognized by the American board of medical specialties is the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Not a Reputable Society

There are 3 names to remember:

1. American Board of Plastic Surgery  (ABPS)

2. American Society of Plastic Surgeons  (ASPS)

3. American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)

The first is the foundation for cosmetic plastic surgeons. It begins with certification by this board. The second is less important than the third; almost all surgeons certified by the ABPS are virtually automatic members of the ASPS, however the ASAPS is specific to surgeons that show competency and experience with cosmetic surgery.

I do not recommend a surgeon that does not have these three credentials.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

"American society of cosmetic breast surgery"

I think your Google search has provided you enough evidence, or lack of it, to make a decision

Julio Garcia, MD

Which credentials are best when choosing a cosmetic plastic surgeon?

The only organization that is recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) for cosmetic surgery of both the face and body is the American Board of Plastic Surgery. You can verify if your surgeon is board certified by checking with the American Board of Medical Specialties at abms.org, the American Board of Plastic Surgery at abplasticsurgery.org or with the American Society of Plastic Surgeons at plasticsurgery.org. It can be confusing when trying to compare credentials. I recommend choosing a board certified plastic surgeon to perform any cosmetic plastic surgery. Congratulations on doing your homework!