A tremendous doubt that hits my mind?

I had to go pee (#1) before the anesthesiologist put me to sleep on an general anesthesia in order for my otolaryngologist execute an deviated septum and rhinoplasty surgery. The surgery went on smooth and I'm extremely content with the results, how ever I didnt get a chance to pee...but would that have inpacted me in any significant way? I had an tremedous urge to urinate after I woke from anesthesia.

Rhinoplasty: the day of surgery.

Rhinoplasty is a surgery to change the shape of your nose for breathing or appearance.

I perform rhinoplasty with my patients under general anesthesia. I trust my anesthesiologist to get my patient ready to go to sleep, monitor them through surgery, and wake them carefully. Before surgery, patients are often asked to empty their bladder. There are a few reasons for this, none of which are crucial.

1. You will be more comfortable through the surgery and afterward without a full bladder.

2. If your bladder becomes over filled, it may be difficult to void/pee after surgery.

3. If the anesthesiologist wants to monitor your urine output, starting with an empty bladder helps them measure how much urine you are making.

4. For shorter cases, this may help you avoid a catheter or peeing while you are asleep. 

Most importantly, none of these factors should affect the outcome of your nose surgery. 

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Need to urinate during surgery

I cannot conceive of any way that having a full bladder before, during, or after nasal surgery would have impacted your nasal surgery outcomes.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Question

Dear questionsananswers, It is important to make the patient comfortable prior to their procedure and ensure their comfort when they wake up and this includes emptying your bladder prior to surgery. It is not fun to have to urinate in a bed pan or try and ambulate immediately after anesthesia when you should instead be resting and enjoying  a nice snooze. This however will not impact the outcome of your procedure. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD