6 days post op and swelling increasing.

I am 6 days post op from lipo of abdomen, hips, back, thighs (inner and outer). My abdomen and back continue to swell more and more. I thought swelling would decrease by now. The swelling is so bad that I cannot use my abdominal garnet any more. Any thoughts?

Swelling after liposuction

If you are swelling to the point that your garment no longer fits, then you need to see your doctor.  In my practice the post op garments must stay on 24/7.  If you are being compliant with the garments, then you may be developing a fluid collection.  This is not an emergency, but you should see your doctor ASAP.  Good luck.

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - still swelling after a week

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Swelling will continue for days after liposuction.
  • Certain things make it worse - too much activity and  too tight a garment.
  • If your garment fitted well right after surgery, it will be too small now.
  • Please contact your plastic surgeon and discuss the kind of garment you need and what if anything can be done to reduce the swelling.
  • Although massage is said to work and it may, it does not work for everyone.
  • The swelling is a biologic response to surgery than can be difficult to control.
  • It will not fully subside for at least 6 months.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Post liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

I suggest beginning massage, RF treatments, Venus Legacy, vanquish and cellutone, and hyperbaric oxygen to drastically reduce swelling. If your compression does not fit I suggest returning to your physician for an in person evaluation and being re-sized, as compression is essential. Best, Dr. Emer

Liposuction - Post Op Swelling

Thank you for your question. While swelling will slowly subside three - six months following your procedure, you should see some improvement by now. You may wear a compression garment if you feel it helps. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Time to call you surgeon

Swelling normally peaks 2-3 days after surgery, so at 6 days it is usually beginning to decrease. If you are taking it easy, wearing your garments and icing down, and are experiencing increasing swelling, it is time to check with your surgeon. If you are being very active, increasing swelling happens, but there are many reasons for increasing swelling, and some of them require timely intervention. To be safe, give your plastic surgeon a call.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon