I'm 57 years old and I am wondering if my age will be a significant factor in my results and healing time

I am considering a breast reduction. I do see some age related changes in my skin, but mostly in my arms. I am currently a 38H and have significant sagging.

Age and breast reduction surgery concerns…

Assuming you are in good health your age should not be a factor when it comes to results or healing time after breast reduction surgery.  Breast reduction is one of the most patient pleasing operations we do. 

Please make sure you select your plastic surgeon carefully. Communicate your goals carefully as well.  You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more.

Best wishes.  Hopefully, your only regret after the procedure, will be that you wish you had done it sooner in life.

Age and Recovery from a Breast Reduction

If you are a nonsmoker the breast reduction procedure is one of the most satisfying operations that we as plastic surgeons perform.  Your age should not be a significant factor in your healing.  I have a number of very happy patients who have had reductions into their 60s without concerns.

Kevin Bounds, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

I'm 57 years old and I am wondering if my age will be a significant factor in my results and healing time.

If you are otherwise in good health, being 57 years old should not significantly affect your results or healing time when undergoing breast reduction surgery.  Patients routinely have breast reduction surgery in their 50's and 60's and the vast majority do quite well and are pleased with their results.  Check with your primary physician for any concerns they may have.  Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive breast reduction experience.   Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Healing after breast reduction for 58-year-old woman?

Many patients who need breast reduction surgery find dramatic relief of symptoms and improved exercise patterns following their surgery.  It is not uncommon to have small areas of delayed healing that may be more likely though minor in a woman your age but I would highly encourage you to be evaluated for surgery if you are symptomatic.  Be certain that you are not a smoker, avoid blood thinners and maintain activity to reduce the risk of blood clots in your legs after the surgical procedure.  Certainly being 27 affords more rapid healing than being 57, but I would definitely encourage you to consider the procedure if it interests you.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Most patient undergoing breast reduction surgery are between 40-60. As long as you are physiologically healthy (no major health problems, non-smoker, non heavy drinker, etc) you should be fine and heal well.

Make sure you are consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

Health Vs. Age in Plastic Surgery

When it comes to healing and recovery health trumps age. If you are healthy you should heal well and recover in the normal amount of time. On the other hand, if you have health problems, including obesity, heart disease, lung disease or diabetes, especially if these problems are not well controlled, your chances of complications are increased.

Be sure to discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon and your primary care doctor. If you have health problems, they can be addressed before surgery, and you can better weight the risks and benefits. 

My grandmother was older than you when she had the same procedure, and felt it was one of the best decisions she ever made. The relief from pain and postural problems, as well as the cosmetic improvement was well worth the anxiety and healing associated with her surgery. I hope that you will feel the same way.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction

If your health is good your age will not be detrimental in your healing. Patients tend to heal quickly and get back into their life activities quite quickly after a reduction. If your health is not good, that's another matter and far more important than your age. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Never too late to undergo a breast reduction and lift?!

In addition to relieving neck, shoulder and back pain, a breast reduction surgery will reduce, re shape and lift your breasts.   This will help reduce the stress and further aging changes to your saggy stretched out skin.   As long as you don't smoke and eat healthy, you should do well after the procedure.  Keep your skin well hydrated with moisturizing lotions and don't expose your skin to super hot showers.  

Best Wishes!

Skin age

Age alone is not a significant factor in results and healing time.  The most significant factors will be your overall health status (whether you have conditions that effect healing, i.e. diabetes, collagen disorders, smoking) and the surgical approach.  I would recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon who could address these questions and can assess your skin elasticity and anticipated results.

Sara R. Dickie, MD
Buffalo Grove Plastic Surgeon

Not too old

I don't think your age will be a problem.  I look more at a person's overall health in deciding who is a candidate rather than their age.  Patients in their 50's and 60's routinely undergo breast reduction without significant problems.  Find a board certified plastic surgeon who commonly performs this procedure and I'll bet you'll do fine.

Scott Thellman, MD
Lawrence Plastic Surgeon