3 week Labiaplasty healing correctly? (photos)

I had a labiaplasty performed 3 weeks ago, and I was just curious if everything is healing correctly? I seem to have a sort of 'bean' looking shape up in the clitoral hood area, and not sure what that is from! I've attached a before picture so you can compare the area.

You are healing

but you had an overly aggressive resection.  Plastic surgeons like to leave at least a cm of labia still intact and your photos look like it was taken down to the reflection between the minora and majora.  Why are we being so critical?  Because surgeons have tolerated other surgeon's less than normal results for too long and with social media and other ways to seek information, patients will get more objective information when they ask.  But if you asked for a near amputation, then you have exactly what you asked for. The 'bean' is your hood with more prominence due to dog ears and the lack of your minora.  

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Healing

Thank you for your question.  Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.  If you wish to be evaluated for a secondary procedure, I would recommend an experienced cosmetic genital surgeon. 

Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Post-Op Healing for Labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks, and that small bean-like item is likely just a little swelling. It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery. The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks. This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of brusing and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well. Best of luck to you.

Post op results

Dear Z:
Thank you for sharing.  First let me say the is NOT "the typical result of a linear resection" or trim labiaplasty.  This is the result of surgeon who is aggressive and lacks experience.   I can show you results of a wedge resection from two different board certified plastic surgeons ( one from Miami and the other from Atlanta )  in the last 1 week and their results are devastating. 
The surgical technique is secondary to the experience of the surgeon performing surgery.  I agree that you need to let the swelling subside but because your surgeon was so aggressive and he/she removed most of the labia it give the illusion that your cltioral area is bigger. 

Weird looking labiaplasty result 3 weeks out from surgery?

You are healing fine. Suture material is still present at 3 weeks and it causes swelling and distortion. Wait another 3 weeks for the sutures to dissolve and for the swelling to subside. At that time you will have a more accurate impression of the aesthetic result.

Trim Result

This is a typical result from a trim labiaplasty. The bean shape is clitoral hood tissue that is unable to be addressed by traditional trim or edge amputation techniques. The more elegant technique is an extended wedge approach (see video). In this procedure the scarring is kept to a minimum and the contour of the labia is preserved so it is natural looking as opposed to a scar along the entire labia edge.That said, your results look fine. I have had women who have functional issues after aggressive amputation procedures, so the fact that you are not having pain or intercourse or hygiene difficulties is a plus. No need for additional surgery unless you are interested in having the hood recontoured. In that case I would use the hood tissue that you have to recreate some labia minora tissue...

3 weeks post labiaplasty healing with aggressive LP

I agree with other respondents. While your healing appears (from the 1 photo at least) to be "appropriate" your surgeon was aggressive in his/her approach, more or less "amputating" the labia. I suspect that all will heal well, but it will take ~ 3 months until you can appreciate the final results.
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA USA

3 week Labiaplasty healing correctly?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  It appears that you had a trim procedure performed with near amputation of each labia minora.  Though you still have swelling affecting the tissues causing the "bean" shaped clitoral region, time will improve this appearance and by six weeks you will have a better sense as to your long-term results. Hope this helps.

3 week Labiaplasty healing correctly?

Looking at your photos, it appears everything is healing just fine for 3 weeks out from surgery. Your labia minora reduction does look aggressive and it appears more tissue was taken than I would recommend. It also appears that you had the trim technique, which leads to scar formation all along the opening to the vagina. Over aggressive resection and scar formation can lead to discomfort in the future during sexual intercourse.

Labiaplasty healing correctly after 3 weeks?

From your photos, it appears you are healing well. The labia resection appears to have been somewhat aggressive, and the remaining portion of the bridge-like connection between the clitoris and the labia can sometimes appear round when divided. Swelling can last three to six months, so the appearance of your labia will continue to change and improve with time. It is best to ask your surgeon, who can perform a physical examination.For more information about labiaplasty, click on the link below.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon