Is my 10-day post op tummy tuck belly button infected? (Photo)

My surgeon is out of the office for 4 days, my post op to remove the belly button stitches and drainage tube is the day after he returns. Would like an opinion to see if you think my belly button might be infected, I'm a little concerned about the redness around it. I attached a photo. Thank you.

Is my belly button infected?

Thank you for your question. I do see redness, which could be a possible sign of infection. However, I do agreet hat this could be from the sutures. This could most likely be a infection if you are experiencing any nausea, fever, or any pain/ discomfort. Best of luck Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeonHoffman Estates BarringtonOakbrookChicago 

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Belly button infected?

Hello and thanks for your question. The redness could be a reaction to the sutures and not necessarily an infection. The diagnosis of infection cannot be made online. Talk to your PS about what you can do until he returns. Best, Dr. ALDO.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Red belly button 10 days after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question about your tummy tuck.

• Your belly button does look red.
  • That said, sutures can cause redness as well.
  • Your surgeon or the surgeon covering for her/him needs to contact you, discuss the issue and perhaps prescribe antibiotics.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Hello kachinastar,
Thank you for your question and photos. Infection usually entails fever, nausea, increased pain, and/or warmth to the area. From your photo it is very difficult to assess if you have an infection. I would consult with your plastic surgeon if you are experiencing any of these symptoms. A tummy tuck is a rather invasive surgery and may factors play into post operative healing. Seek further attention from your plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Dr. Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Is my 10-day post op tummy tuck belly button infected?

Hello, thanks for your question. The signs of infection are redness, fever, pain and drainage. You can have one or all of these if you are experiencing an infection.
It's difficult to tell from your picture, but I do recommend you get seen by a physician. If there is no one covering your surgeon's practice, then you may have to go to your local ER or primary care doctor.
Don't wait, get evaluated ASAP.
Best of luck.

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

Thanks for your question. No it is not infected. The belly button suffers a lot of trauma and decreased vascularity during a tummy tuck. This can cause an unsightly appearance early after surgery. I would recommend some topical antimicrobrial such as Neosporin.

All the best and hope you are happy with your results,