Blepharoplasty, Is a ASOPRS Doctor O.k. for Blepharoplasty? Or Do I Need Board Certified?

I am alread scheduled for Blepharopoplasty upper only next month. The doctor is a member of ASOPRS here in Sacramento. Should I only be going to a Board Certified Doctor? He has been doing these procedures for over 20 years but also works on the eyes itself.

Doctor Answers 5

An oculoplastic surgeon is the most specifically trained surgeon in blepharoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

An oculoplastic surgeon is usually a board certified ophthalmologist who has then spent 1 or 2 years in training focusing ONLY in the plastic and reconstructive surgery around the eyes.  They generally do not focus on other parts of the body like other plastic surgeons.  It is a very dedicated, focused, intense training.  ASOPRS only trains 20 or so fellows in the entire country every year.  These are the best of the best.  An ASOPRS surgeon takes a specific written and oral examination as well as writes a thesis to become a member.  In many (if not all) cases this is more than most board certifications require.  The field of ophthalmology does not have board certifications in its subspecialities, like in retina, glaucoma, oculoplastics, etc.  The board certification is in ophthalmology.  I'm certain that your surgeon is very qualified to do your procedure.  For most oculoplastic surgeons, an upper blepharoplasty may be the most common surgery they do, so someone with 20 or more years of experience has perhaps performed thousands upon thousands!


Good luck with your decision and your procedure.

Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

Blepharoplasty, Is a ASOPRS Doctor O.k. for Blepharoplasty? Or Do I Need Board Certified?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

As your question suggests, there is a difference between being a member of a specialty society and having board certification in a given specialty. I would ask the office if your surgeon is board certified and in what field. If you're seeing a board certified ophthalmologist or oculoplastic surgeon with 20 years of experience, you're in very good hands. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Who should do blepharoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

An oculoplastic surgeon is very qualified to do a blepharoplasty especially one who has extensive experience. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

ASOPRS vs board certified

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

To be a member of the ASOPRS, a physician has to have completed a fellowship training in oculoplastic surgery accredited by the ASOPRS.  These physicians are usually board certified in ophthalmology with a focused training on eye surgery.  If your physician has had 20 years of experience in this field, he is probably well qualified to perform an upper blepharoplasty surgery.    

Jessica Kulak, MD
Fairfax Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

ASOPRS doctor

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The physician is a ASOPRS fellowship-trained doctor, superbly qualified. Cannot get any better than that. He is probably a board-certified ophthalmologist.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.