Is there a way to verify, that Voluma, in fact, was injected?

It may sound funny, and I feel like an idiot even asking, but I don't see a slight evidence in the mirror reflection. The doctor has all credentials and his practice is quite successful, however 3 months and $2500 later, I started digging deeper into online reviews and found so many complaints, that my concern seems valid. The procedure itself was such weird experience, like a bad stage performance. I will not name the doctor, unless I can prove the fraud. But is there a way?

Voluma

Unfortunately, the best proof is showing the patient the box and syringe prior to injection. My best advice would be for you to schedule a consultation with another board certified plastic surgeon or cosmetic dermatologist in your area to be assessed in person. I would hazard a guess that real Voluma was used but probably not enough. So sorry that you've had a negative experience. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Voluma results

Thank you for your question dsadrrfdr. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Voluma is a filler used to enhance the appearance of the face. Results with Voluma can be subtle, and often patients want subtle results so they do not look overinflated or as if they have had something done. In order to assess results it is important to compare before and after photographs. Often times after a Voluma treatment there is swelling, which can appear desirable. Once the swelling has subsided it may look like it is gone. This has happened with my patients in the past. But when they returned for their after photographs the improvement was very apparent. This is normal as we remember what we looked like yesterday, not necessarily two weeks ago. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Yes, in many cases you can determine which product was used

In my office I show my patient the product in the box prior to injection.  I then place the included lot sticker in their chart.  If this was performed your medical records will reveal this.  

I do not know how many syringes were used in you.  In some of the FDA trials up to 6 syringes were necessary for improvement.

I would go back to the doctor to discuss your concerns

Ernest Robinson, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma Results and Happiness

If you do not trust your physician you shouldn't be going to them.  If you would like "proof" they should show you the syringe before injection.  I couldn't imagine using something other than what I told the patient I would use. Any respectful physician or reputable practice wouldn't do that.  I find that patients "unhappy" are always undertreated, most people feel they need less volume than they always do.  Please find a facial contouring specislist.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Thank you for your question and I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated.  Unfortunately without having the packing that the syringe came out of, or the syringe itself, there is no test that can be performed to assess what as injected into your face.  You may wish to seek a second opinion about your results so that the filler can be palpated for appropriate placement.  Hope this helps.

Verifying the product injected

Thanks for your question. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing what was injected aside from seeing the syringe at the time of treatment.  Your lack of perceived results could be due to incorrectly placed filler, selection of a suboptimal filler for your problem, over-dilution of filler, or other problems.  In our practice we track the lot numbers and expiration dates of the fillers we inject; perhaps you could sit and meet with your physician injector and discuss your concerns.  This may be the best way to get you the answers you are looking for, and they may even be able to figure out how to help you get the results you envisioned.  Best of luck to you.

Alix J. Charles, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Injection Verification

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately there isn't really a way to determine what product has been injected. Trust between the doctor and patient is crucial and you should feel comfortable with your physician and believe that he or she has your best interest at heart at all times. On line reviews can be helpful for patients but also have no critical scrutiny or filter. People can post whatever they want so they represent just one factor that may help you reach decision that puts your mind at ease. With all fillers, including Voluma, there are labels that should be placed in your chart which identify the product, its lot number and expiration date. Best sure to always use a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist
Best of Luck
DrB

Lee A. Gibstein, MD