Is this how veneers typically turn out? (photos)

I recently chipped my tooth and they told me a veener would be my best option, I hate the way it looks! Is this how they typically turn out? I feel like it's bulky and yellow the dentist told me my teeth will yellow over time and this was the whitest shade he had available , and if I wanted he would do the other tooth to match it. I want to replace it but don't want to pay money if it's just going to be the same story .

Is this how veneers turn out? #DrSoftTouch

Veneers can be made to perfectly match the shape and shade of your natural teeth. In my opinion, veneering another tooth is not the best option to make your current veneer match. The best option would be to remake your veneer so it matches the adjacent teeth. I would recommend returning to your dentist to express your concerns. Good luck and I hope this helps. Click save on the save button below my name, so that you may ask me more questions in the future.

Veneer color and size

Anytime you are doing just one or two veneers, it is best to do a custom shade match. This happens by either taking several photos and sending them to the master ceramist to have him/her color match or by having the ceramist come to the office and matching it himself/herself in person. Normally, the ceramist matches the shade of your existing teeth next to the veneer(s), and if it does not match, we ensure that it is sent back to the lab to have it re-matched. As for bulkiness, it is possible to have a thinner veneer made to match the thickness of your natural teeth. There are different types of material that can be used according to how the patient wants each veneer to look and feel. We always ensure that at our practice, the patient is completely satisfied before we permanently cement the veneer(s) on, and we use the best ceramists in our area. 

Chirag Patel, DMD
Beverly Hills Dentist

Porcelain Veneer

Based on the photo that is displayed, it appears that there was one porcelain veneer placed on your upper left lateral incisor.  It is difficult to determine whether or not a porcelain veneer was your best option since we have no picture of what the tooth looked when it was chipped.  I could understand why you are not satisfied with the aesthetic outcome of your treatment. 

In order to correct this issue, we need to identify the problem first and come up with a solution that will satisfy your needs.  In my opinion, this tooth is shaped too much like a rectangular where as your upper right lateral incisor has a more triangular shaped.  What I would do to replace this is take moulds of your existing teeth and explain to the master ceramist (the lab technician that makes your teeth) the desired shape which would be to match the right lateral incisor.  Next, our master ceramist would fabricate a diagnostic wax up of the new shaped tooth on your models..  You would then come back for your initial visit of treatment and remove the existing porcelain veneer.  Based on the diagnostic wax up, we will be able to determine if there was sufficient enamel reduction of your tooth.  In other words, your existing veneer could appear too "bulky' because maybe there was not enough enamel reduction.  In that case, we would have a guide from our wax up to determine exactly how much tooth we would need to remove.  Typically, we can make the porcelain veneers as thin as 0.3-0.5 mm.  Once we have sufficient reduction and have a clean preparation of the tooth, we would make a final impression for the ceramist to make the new veneer off.  Finally, and here is the best part, we would fabricate a provisional based on the new shape of the tooth.  At this time, you will be able to assess the aesthetics of the provisional.  Modifications can be made until you are completely satisfied with the aesthetic outcome.  Once completely satisfied, our master ceramist will fabricate the new porcelain veneer based on your provisional.  The last tricky part is matching the shade to the rest of your teeth. I would recommend that a custom shade be performed by the cosmetic dentist and lab ceramist during the initial visit.  In addition, it is imperative that they take a stump shade, which is the shade of the underlying prepared tooth in order to match the shade properly.

Once you find the right dentist who works with the right lab ceramist, you should have no issues getting the result you desire.

I wish the best of luck to you and please do not hesitate to ask any further questions.

Daniel E. Naysan, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist

Veneers

From your picture it is difficult to determine which is the veneer because the picture is blurry. Veneers can be made to match your natural teeth exactly in shape and color. I don't suggest having another veneer placed to try to match the two teeth. The best option is to remake the veneer so that it matches the surrounding teeth. This requires both a very skilled dentist and lab technician. Before your dentist bonds the new veneer in place make sure you are happy with the results. 

Yellow Veneer

Though the photo is not great, from what I can see your tooth does look off in terms of shading and contour. This does not have to be the case. It can be remade and a lighter shade can be used and the veneer can look more natural. I would discuss this with your dentist and see if he can correct it to your satisfaction and if not, there are other dentists who may be more talented when it comes to cosmetic dentistry.