What to do if one breast is dropping dramatically while the other one still sets very high? (photos)

I had my surgery 8 weeks ago. 385cc mod profile. They were pretty even at first , after a month one dropped, and the past couple of weeks it has dropped a lot while the right one sets very high. I've been wearing my strap on and off for a few weeks and it seems like it's only pushing down one breast. My doc said my breast were pretty even before the surgery. What should I do? I can't wear any cut out shirts because it's embarrassing. Should I continue wearing the strap? My doc told me to wear it

Breast asymmetry 8 weeks post op

Hello Fernanda and thank you for your question. 
I understand that it can be concerning, one month after your left breast has dropped, that your right has yet to follow suit. Symmetry is very important in patients eyes. And its important to note that asymmetry before the operation may still be visibly present. Patients recovery time varies greatly. While some breasts will settle in as little as four weeks, others can take up to three months. Everything from chest wall size to implant width and cc size can effect how long the recovery period takes. Another common cause for asymmetrical healing is the fact that your dominant hand muscles in your chest are flexed more often and are stronger - needing a longer time to stretch out and make room for the implant to 'drop'. I believe you are healing well and need to be patient for final results. If you like you can meet with your plastic surgeon for recommendation on what sort of post-op care he recommends. 

Best wishes

Both breasts heal differently

ASSYMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff. SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and "less natural" in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

Asymmetry

Hello,Thank you for your question and photos. The whole drop and fluff process can take between 2-6 months. You are still relatively early in that process and some asymmetry is normal while the breasts heal. I recommend that you follow up with your Plastic Surgeon regarding any ongoing concerns and try to hold off on evaluating your results until closer to 6 months post op.
All the best

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling

Thank you for your question. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. The implants may swell asymmetrically, but usually settle evenly. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Implant displacement exercises

In addition to the bandeau you are wearing, I would recommend implant displacement exercises to force the higher riding implant downwards. This is done by placing both your hands at the top of the right breast areola and pulling upwards, forcing the implant downwards. Hold this position for 1 minute then repeat 10 minutes daily. At 6 months, you will be able to see the final position of that implant after it completely settles into the pocket created for that implant. At this time, depending upon how symmetric they look, you may require surgery to correct any asymmetries. Bottom line is talk with your surgeon about your concerns before you try my advice. He or she knows your situation best.Best wishes,Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

What to do if one breast is dropping dramatically while the other one still sets very high?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery.Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, advice, predictions, and/or meaningful reassurance.Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other. In cases where significant breast asymmetry persists longterm,  revisionary surgery may be necessary to improve the outcome.  The pros/cons associated with revisionary breast surgery should be carefully considered prior to making decisions whether or not to undergo further surgery.  Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Breast asymmetry

All breasts are asymmetric and some more than others.  It would be good to show preop photos. Best of luck.