I'm just wondering if Arnica Montana and other supplements are ok to take prior to surgery?

Pre operative supplements

Your surgeon should be quite specific regarding taking supplements.  I encourage the use of arnica Montana to reduce bruising although there is no evidence of its effectiveness.  Other supplements should be avoided if they increase the risk of bleeding.  Think the three G's:  garlic, ginseng, green tea, and ginkgo.  But most of all follow your surgeons specific advice.

What 'Other Supplements'?

Although Arnica Montana is safe to take, the vast majority of  studies show that it is ineffective.  As for other supplements, you would need to be more specific; some are outright harmful prior to surgery. Regardless, there is no reason to take any at all as none are effective in improving healing. 
Best of luck.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Arnica pre-operatively

It is best to check with your doctor. That said, in my practice, I insist that all patients stop all non prescription medication, including herbals, vitamins and homeopathic meds as well as aspirin and NSAID's for at least 2 weeks pre-op. Many of these seemingly beneficial meds cause excessive bleeding an other problems intra-operatively.

Paul Jason Skoll, MBChB, FRCS, FCS (SA) Plast
South Africa Plastic Surgeon

Ask your plastic surgeon about all supplements prior to your procedure.

It’s best to talk honestly and in detail with your plastic surgeon about all of the supplements and medications, including over-the-counter and prescription, that you take on a regular basis. Your plastic surgeon needs to know exactly what you are taking to make the best recommendation about how you should prepare for your breast augmentation surgery. He may ask that you stop taking certain supplements or adjust the dosage. Whatever he advises, follow that recommendation strictly to avoid any unnecessary complications before or after your procedure.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Supplements prior to surgery

Different surgeons have different protocols for supplements before and after different surgeries.  As an example, we have a printed brochure we provide our patients regarding "do and don'ts" and what to take and not to take.

Be sure you choose a surgeon board certified by "The American Board of Plastic Surgery", check her/his reviews, before and after photos, credentials, experience, and have a quality consultation.

You surgeon should be preferably a member of "American Society of Plastic Surgeons" and a member of "American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery" to indicate cosmetic plastic surgery is the main focus of their practice and they have been evaluated to perform high volume and quality, honest aesthetic surgery and adhere to a code of ethics.

All my best,

Payam Jarrah-Nejad, MD

Arnica Montana

Each surgeon will have their own recommendations as to what supplements you may take or not.  Personally I feel arnica Montana is ok to take before surgery but I have my patients stop all fish oils (omega's) and multi vitamins but there is a long list of supplements that I give patients to avoid pre and post surgery.  When in doubt it is best to stop all non prescription supplements before surgery.  Best of luck to you 

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Arnica montana

Always consult your surgeon about supplements. Some may cause increased bleeding. Arnica is not without risks in certain individuals.

Susan Kaweski, MD

'm just wondering if Arnica Montana and other supplements are ok to take prior to surgery? = ask your plastic surgeon

Arnica montana is a herbal supplement that decreased the risk of bruising and makes the bruising to go away.

Patients schedule for breast augmentation surgery that would like to know if ok to take arnica montana as well as other supplements prior surgery must ask their surgeons about their advice. 

John Mesa, MD

Are supplements okay to take prior to surgery?

Hello missellamae, thank you for the question, every plastic surgeon has a list of pre-operative instructions that they ask patients to follow. Communicating your concerns with your surgeon will be helpful to you and him/her, your surgeon is the best person to address your questions and concerns since they know what procedure will be done.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD