Textured vs. Smooth Silicone for an athlete? (Photos)

I'm a 32-years-old athlete at 5'8", 150 pounds and have never had children. I've been an athlete all my life. I have a surgeon and surgery is scheduled for textured silicone under the pec at 400cc w/ a bilat. con. mastopexy. I've heard conflicting accounts about textured and am wondering if it's worth the extra $2K. Will they look fake? My boobs already sit far apart and I was told textured is a good route for athletes as they prevent lat. displacement. Will 400cc be a good fit for my frame?

Textured implants

I agree that you need a mastopexy and implants.  400 cc's is the absolute most I would consider if you are an athlete.  Textured implants are much more expensive than smooth, if you are using anatomical or teardrop shaped.  I don't thin it's worth the extra expense and don't care for teardrop shaped implants overall.

Textured vs. Smooth Silicone

Shaped implants are all #textured and should not rotate when used properly. Also, textured implants do not require breast massage following surgery.
In my practice, about 20% of the patients benefit from shaped implants. Your Plastic Surgeon needs to measure you and determine the best shape and size of any implants that are used.

#SalineImplants are made with a #silicone outer shell that are filled with sterile saline water (salt-water) during the surgery. Since saline is like normal body fluid, it is safe and easily absorbed if the implants were to leak. The #implant shell is ordered in a specified size beforehand, which can be filled to a minimum or maximum fill amount. This allows the plastic surgeon some flexibility with sizing during surgery. Often times a woman has breasts which vary slightly in size. If one breast is slightly smaller than the other, each implant can be filled to a different amount to create better symmetry.

Saline tends to be a little less natural feeling than silicone, but it can also create a more dramatic upper breast appearance, which some women prefer. A new saline breast implants option called Ideal Implant™ was recently FDA approved and is now being offered at here the Pacific Center for Plastic Surgery Newport Beach. The #IdealImplant was created for women who are not comfortable having silicone implants in their body, but desire a more natural feeling implant than traditional saline implants on the market. The unique structure of the Ideal Implant allows for a similar look and feel as silicone with the safety of saline.

Breast augmentation for Crossfit athletes #plasticsurgery #crossfit

I've performed submuscular breast augmentation for several active Crossfit athletes. We choose implants based on a patient's biodimensions. I tend to size these athletic patients on the conservative and 'natural' side of the spectrum. My patients do not report a diminishment in overall pulling or pushing strength after breast augmentation.

Textured vs Smooth Breast Implants

I personally only use textured breast implants for many reasons. Initially I used them for all the cases where I placed them above the muscle as they were shown to markedly reduce the risk of capsular contracture in this position. I also do the majority of my implants above the muscle as most of my patients are athletes and use their arms a lot and I do not want to have the implant interfere with movement, displace or deform with arm movement. Newer data, however, has shown that texturing also further reduces capsular contracture even when the implant is placed under the muscle. In my practice there is only a minimal cost difference between textured and smooth implants. It is impossible to comment on the size without discussing your desires and measuring your breasts and chest.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Implant Shell Surface Type

The textured shell surface does decrease the risk of drop out and lateralization of the implants. Extra $2000? I'm not aware of that amount of difference, even if you choose form stable, anatomically shaped, textured implants. To be honest, that really doesn't sound right.  Red flag.

If you're really concerned about dropout, implant size has as great an impact as textured shells. Bigger implants are more unpredictable. If you're an athlete, it also makes sense to get smaller implants.

Finally, you are not a good candidate for a concentric mastopexy; that should be reserved for small deflated breasts.  Your breasts are asymmetric in size and shape, and your nipple areolar complexes are too low. You put yourself at risk for the usual litany of complications associated with this type of lift in the wrong type of breast: thickened scaring, enlarged and off-round areola, pleating round the areola, persistently low areola, flattening of the breast mound, and persistent sagging of the breast mound. You would be better off with a formal lift: better shape, better scaring, better nipple position.

If your doc isn't a ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon expert in all forms of breast surgery, not just implants, you should do more due diligence and have a few more consults.  Trust me, in this day and age of social media, you are not locked in. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Athlete seeking uplift and breast implants.

Thank you for your question and photographs.  The subject is somewhat controversial but like many doctors I always use round smooth implants and do not see any significant benefit from the use of textured implants.  Though rare, ALCL seems to be highly associated with textured implants rather than smooth, another reason supporting my leaning toward the use of smooth.  You also appear to need more than a Benelli mastopexy and probably a vertical mastopexy or a full mastopexy with a small inframammary incision.  The other issue is my feeling that 400 mL implants may be too large for someone of your size and frame who has not had pregnancies to relax her breast tissue.Discuss your goals carefully with your ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon and best wishes for a good result.Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Textured versus smooth

I am concerned about the fact that you are being charged more for textured versus smooth as the implants are the same price. I would urge you to get smooth implants as they are less likely to get stuck in a suboptimal position especially if you are a runner. Finally, I would recommend that you consider a breast augmentation with a vertical mastopexy which provides the ideal lift with an implant with minimal scarring. Please see examples below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Smooth gel

I do not perform textured implant placement on any of our thousands of surgeries. Smooth shelled under the muscle is my preference. Best of luck

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Textured vs. Smooth surface implants?

There is ZERO cost difference between round silicone gel smooth and round silicone gel textured breast implants.  There is less price difference than $2K between round smooth and form-stable textured.  Round smooth have no place in the submuscular augmentation of an athlete, in my opinion.  These are issues to be clarified with your surgeon before proceeding.  When you are put to sleep for an operation, it's best (my opinion) to know in advance exactly what will be done, and why.  

Only the surgeon who is helping you with this can explain advantages and disadvantages associated with specific decisions in your case.

Steve Laverson, MD

Textured vs. Smooth Silicone for an athlete?

I personally prefer the use of smooth round implants for most patients. I don't find the use of textured breast implants advantageous for any group of patients including athletes.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” or "good fit" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.