Will tall and thin body make going from A to C cup difficult to make natural looking? Any concerns from a PS standpoint? (Photo)

About me: 24yo, 5'9 1/2-5'10, 95lbs, 32A/B cup (depending on bra). I am looking to go up to something similar to a C (not sure about the specific cc's I would need) through the nipple incision route. My main cosmetic concerns are even nipples, cleavage, possible loss of nipple sensation. Would my body stature make it difficult to do what needs to be done to make them look natural? What would be some things to be concerned about?

A to C cup

Your request is very reasonable and your proportions are what dictate your ideal aesthetic more so than body weight. Being thin however does mean there is somewhat less tissue covering the implant which can lead to visualization of the implant and even implant imperfections.

That being said you are starting from a good place. There are minor asymmetries between the left and right breast as there are with the majority of women but this will be reviewed by your surgeon.

You can be optimistic about the procedure and your final resutls.

Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon for evaluation.

God luck and I hope this was helpful.

Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Will tall and thin body make going from A to C cup difficult to make natural looking?

The interpretation of "natural looking" varies greatly from patient to patient and from surgeon to surgeon.

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 32 C and a 36 C are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer. There is no direct correlation between implant number of cc's and cup size in any particular patient.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to answer all of your concerns and tell you exactly what to do and how to do it without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Size Options

Thank you for your question. Most patients want to achieve a result that enhances their body contour, but still looks natural, and that’s what you want, too. Your successful outcome depends on selecting the most suitable breast implant type and surgical technique. Your Plastic Surgeon will select implant options for you during your consultation based on your desired look but also your specific breast measurements. My patients find it helpful to try on the implant sizers with a form fitting T-Shirt in order to get an idea of what they will look like.

Be sure to select a board certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in this procedure.

All the best

Breast implants

Your questions are all valid concerns as they are for any women considering implants.  But overall I think you are an excellent candidate and would get a great result.   My only caution is avoid going too large.  Nothing over 450 cc'.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Great question. Everybody's idea of a natural look is a little bit different.  Certainl, my major concern for you would be a lack of breast tissue to cover of an implant with a resultant "round" or augmented look.  Your desire to go from an A to C cup is appropriate.  Any larger and I think you would potentially run into problems with an unnatural look.  I would heavily consider shaped implants as this will help camouflage the transition of your natural breasts onto the upper portion of your relatively thin chest wall.  I like to do Vectra 3D imaging which can be very helpful in showing you the difference between round and shaped implants on your bodyand also help to communicate the appropriate size that you wish to end up with.  Often your plastic surgeon can have a different idea of cup size than you and I've found that 3D imaging has vastly improved the discussion of size.  Consult with board certified plastic surgeons to discuss your options in more detail but I do believe you can have the natural look you desire.  Best of luck.

Michael Brucker, MD

In your case, it would possible to achieve natural appearing, larger breasts with the right breast implants. An examination by your plastic surgeon and discussion about your goals will provide you with the information to understand the pros and cons of everything from breast implant type (round or anatomic), implant size, incision placement, and pocket placement, as well as what to expect when recovering from surgery. Prediction of postoperative cup size can be challenging, because bra manufacturers do not always standardize the measurement of their bras. In general, Victoria's Secret bras tend to run large when compared to other bra makers. Thank you for sharing your photos and questions. Best wishes.

Dr. Gregory Park

Gregory Park, MD

Candidate for Breast Augmentation

Thank you for the photos and your question.

From the photos and description you are a great candidate for your goals.

Many options for implant size, shape, type which need s to be precisely determined through an in-office evaluation.  It will depend mostly on your tissues and measurements.

Make sure you have a thorough consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience in this procedure. Check her/his experience, track record, credentials, reviews, before and after photos, and have a quality consultation.

It is preferred for your surgeon to be member of "American Society of Plastic Surgeons" and ideally member of "American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery". This means they have been evaluated by the society and recognized that the focus of their practice is high volume and quality, honest aesthetic plastic surgery and they adhere to a code of ethics.

All my best,

Payam Jarrah-Nejad, MD

Breast Implant Sizing

Cup sizes are not the way to discuss or measure breast size. They cannot be guaranteed by any surgeon, so get it out of your head.  What you want is an appearance in the mirror, and that can be established using sizers in the office with an unpadded bra. This is called your 'aesthetic goal' and is not as important as your anatomic capacity, which is determined by direct examination of your breast tissue and chest wall. This process of biodimensional analysis will minimize risks that are commonly associated with implants that are too big.  Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that perform true rapid recovery techniques. You'll know who they are because they are the few surgeons that use shaped devices as well. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

#Breast Augmentation A to C

You appear to be a good candidate for breast augmentation.  There are a number of great options for you including anatomic shaped implants to keep the appearance of your breasts natural.

Our Vectra 3D imaging system may be of some benefit to you in choosing style and size that meets your expectations.

Gilbert Lee, MD

Breast augmentation

Hi and thanks for your questions. It appears that you are an excellent candidate for breast augmentation surgery.  No surgeon can ethically guarantee the final cup size following breast augmentation surgery as there is no standardization for cup size in the fashion industry nor in plastic surgery.  I would recommend that you see a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and preferably a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. That's my best advice after 30 years performing aesthetic plastic surgery best of luck. 

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS