Surfing Prior to Rhinoplasty?

I know after Rhinioplasty I'll have to take a break from surfing, but is there any reason to stop surfing a few weeks prior to my Surgery? It's in about 2 weeks from now, and I've been surfing as much as possible because after surgery I'm gonna have to take a break for awhile. Please let me know asap! Also to mention, this is a functional septorhinoplasty, not just cosmetic.

Surfing prior to rhinoplasty?

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  There is no issue with you surfing prior to your rhinoplasty and you should enjoy your time to do so as you will have restrictions after surgery.  Hope this helps.

Surfing Prior to Surgery

I see no problem with surfing prior to surgery except if you either get struck in the nose, sunburned on your face or get sand/debris in your nose.

I surfed for 15 years and all of those things have happened to me, but were rare (thank goodness).  Just be a little extra cautious and don't go out if it is really crowded or pounding.

Hope this helps!

Paul K. Holden, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surfing and other activity before rhinoplasty

I see no issues with surfing or exercise prior to your surgery. Obviously you will want to follow your surgeons instructions regarding your postoperative exercise program or surfing very closely. 

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surfing prior to surgery

There is absolutely no problem surfing prior to your surgery.  Try do avoid getting a sunburn on your nose leading up to the procedure.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Functional septoplasty and rhinoplasty

Functional septoplasty and rhinoplasty can be accomplished with a closed rhinoplasty approach by making all of the incisions on the inside of the nose. It's important to make sure that all of the surgery is preauthorized with your medical insurance for medical necessity in order to get medical insurance coverage. It is totally acceptable to surf before surgery, probably best to take at least two weeks off from surfing and exercise after the surgery.

Surfing Prior to Rhinoplasty?

Hello numericstature - Thanks for your question.  I think your surgeon is trying to avoid any nasal trauma before they have to go in and fix your nose.  All it takes is a surfboard to the face to change a reasonable, elective septorhinoplasty into an impossible emergency surgery.  Good luck, Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Surfing before rhinoplasty

Thanks for sharing.  As a facial plastic surgeon and surfer myself I can share my thoughts on this. I know if its looking good out there it is hard to stay out of the water.   First you should follow the advice of your surgeon. Surfing or exercise in general I believe does not need to be stopped prior to surgery.  However from surfing you do have the off chance that you may traumatize the nose and break it, sunburn the skin, acquire a sinus infection.  These situations will postpone your surgery.  So, be careful out there and surf within your means.  You should not surf aggressively and be wary of those around you.  Wear sunblock, and do not swim for a few days if it rains.  You may want to stop a several days or more before your surgery to minimize these risks.  Again talk to your surgeon for his advice.  Best of luck with everything!

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Surfing Before Rhinoplasty Surgery

I personally do not have any concerns with a patient surfing prior to rhinoplasty or septorhinoplasty surgery. With that said, it is important to ask "your" surgeon what his/her pre and post operative instructions are. It is also important not to get your nose sunburnt as this could delay your procedure. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Surfing and rhinoplasty

Unless your surgeon has a specific objection to surfing you can surf before rhinoplasty. I think you should follow the advice of your plastic surgeon and his/her recommendation. best wishes.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Surfing Prior to Rhinoplasty?

Surfing before surgery should not be a problem. Enjoy yourself up to the time of surgery and then follow all of your surgeon's post-operative instructions with regard to exercising and activities.
Robert Singer, MD  FACS
La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon