Supplements that I didn't discontinue before breast augmentation - Am I still a candidate?

I am having my breasts done next week and I take melatonin and L-tryptophan at night to help me sleep. I have also been taking one tablespoon of coconut oil during the day. None of these were on the do not take list but now I'm wondering. I will obviously check with my plastic surgeon but do you think I will have to cancel my surgery?

Supplements and surgery

The biggest offending agents are ones that make you bleed or can possibly interfere with anesthesia. I do not believe that any of the supplements you mentioned will be a problem

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Discontinue health supplements prior to breast augmentation?

I do not know of any reason to stop melatonin, L-tryptophan or coconut oil prior to breast augmentation surgery. Usually we ask patients to stop health supplements like ginseng, ginko biloba and St John's wort prior to surgery only because it can cause a slightly higher risk of bleeding with surgery (like Aspirin). Even still, depending on the technique that your surgeon uses for breast augmentation, there is usually very little risk of bleeding when proper technique is used in breast augmentation. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Supplements before surgery

It is great you are concerned about taking supplements before surgery because you realize that some of these agents may increase your risk of bleeding. However, none of the supplements you have mentioned should interfere with your surgery.

Susan Kaweski, MD

Pre Op Avoidance of Supplements

None of the three that you mentioned are on my "to be avoided" list either because they do not pose a concern for bleeding/bruising. It is a good idea however to check directly with your Plastic Surgeon.

All the best

You are Good to Go!

Nothing in the supplements you mentioned will affect the outcome of your surgery - good to go, good luck and wishing you a perfect result!

Supplements are not well regulated like medications are and so we have no idea what may be in them as labels are not reliable. But the ones we worry about are things that could cause bleeding during or after surgery. To my knowledge none of the three you mentioned should be a problem. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Supplements before breast augmentation

Melatonin, L-tryptophan, and coconut oil are fine, no contra-indication to surgery.  The primary problems would be supplements that impair the function of your blood clotting system (thrombogenesis).

Hope your procedure goes well and your result is everything you hope for.

Steve Laverson, MD