Are there any supplements that I could begin to take before the surgery to minimize bruising and inflammation?

To minimize bruising and inflamation, and how long before yhe surgery date shoukd i begin to take yhem ? have heard about arnica pills and other. I am having a TT, BL with implants, lipo. Thank you for your answers

Nutritional Supplements to Aid in Recovery

I recommend that you avoid all foods, supplements, and medications that thin your blood. You should take a multi-vitamin that contains vitamins A, B, C, D, and K, but no vitamin E. Natural supplements such as Bromelain and Arnica Montana are also very beneficial to reduce bruising, swelling, and pain.  My patients typically start their recovery supplements 2 weeks before surgery, and continue for 2 weeks post-op.  

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

There are no supplements that will decrease bruising and swelling before a mommy makeover.

In a well nourished individual there is no reason to take any supplements in anticipation of surgery. They have no benefit.

Supplements Use Prior to Mommy Makeover

I suggest to my patients beginning supplements such as  #bromelain or #arnica a week or two before their procedure(s). However, its best to consult with your board-certified Plastic Surgeon beforehand. She or he will make suggestions according to your procedure and medical records in addition to discussing your pre-op preparations. Also, such may be provided for you with your pre-op material and prescriptions in time for your recovery period. You will learn more about preparing at your pre-op appointment. 

Are there supplements for before or after surgery?

Thank you for your question. Vitamin C is beneficial and assists in tissue repair, arnica and/ or traumeel drops/ tablets can be taken to reduce post operative bruising. Avoid any food, medication (aspirin, ibuprophen) or supplements that may thin the blood.

Check with your surgeon to discuss his/ her pre/ post operative recommendations.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Supplements before surgery

Many surgeons feel that a combination of Bromolein and Arnica taken before surgery may reduce bruising and swelling. You should check with your plastic surgeon who should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS).

You need to follow all of her or his instructions.

Robert Singer,  MD  FACS

La Jolla, California 

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Supplements to reduce bruising

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

Supplements can be taken to try to reduce bruising - but the inflammation is part of the normal healing process.
  • Bromolein and arnica taken starting 2-5 days before surgery are said to reduce bruising.
  • Ask your surgeon for approval to take these.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.