Do I have strabismus or ptosis? (Photos)

It appears that my eyes are not symmetrical in at least one way... thought it was ptosis now I'm thinking strabismus.... any help? What can I do? How effective are surgeries?

Mild Ptosis

Hi stellap5,

Thanks for your question and photos. If you look at where the light reflexes are located on your eye, they appear to be well centered. In the absence of any history of childhood strabismus or new double vision issues, I would say you do not have strabismus. You do have mild ptosis of both upper eyelids. This responds quite nicely to ptosis repair surgery. The type of ptosis surgery you'd respond to depends on your clinical exam so I would recommend a consultation with a skilled oculoplastic surgeon in your area. Good luck!

Possible Ptosis

Thank you for sharing your question and posting your photograph. You most likely have ptosis, which can be easily corrected by an experienced oculoplastic surgeon. Often, patients who have strabismus experience double vision. You should have an in-person evaluation to determine what the specific problem is. 

Good luck, 

Are you seeing double?

If your eyes are not aligned that would be strabismus.  Generally a new strabismus should immediately be assessed by an ophthalmologist.  You would know if you had childhood strabismus.   The photo demonstrates upper eyelid ptosis.  This would benefit from surgery.